An Introduction: Tongue-Gaping Stare
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: An Introduction: Tongue-Gaping Stare

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Wink An Introduction: Tongue-Gaping Stare

For the last couple of years, I have lurked in other WUS fora and enjoyed creating an evolving collection that I am proud to call my own - divers, pilots, mods, etc. But, I find my sights now wandering to those horological pieces of yesteryear, which shouldn't be such a surprise given my love of history. Bingo! History and watches...I'm in big trouble.

So I stand before the mountain of knowledge with that stare mentioned above, and simply say, "Hello." I have seen the light, and it is vintage...

I began my quest with the usual sticky reviews, WUS searches and internet exploration. Wow, there's a lot stuff out there. And boy, is it fun! I can't wait to find my first vintage watch, so I'm here not only to say howdy, but also to ask for your thoughts on how I should focus my energy. I'd like to target my birth year as a starting place, 1962, so please suggest what you think are some worthy pieces produced in this year.

FYI, I own several Omegas and have spotted a number of interesting models from this time frame - Speedmaster, Ranchero, Railmaster, Seamaster and Constellation. However, I am open to other thoughts and recommendations. Also, while I realize most vintage cases are less than 40mm, I would prefer something closer to that size. My budget is flexible.

Many thanks in advance!

Re: An Introduction: Tongue-Gaping Stare

Welcome to the world of vintage.

Unfortunately I'm struggling to make suggestions of watches you could consider, that are around the
    40mm diameter size.
    I'm sure there will be some, especially from the sixties when watches were starting to increase in size.
    Others in here are more familiar with watches from the sixties and I'm sure you'll get some info on larger than
    usual watches.

Vintage collectors become immune to the curse of the Big Watch. We see joy in 32mm watches. It is all just a fad anyway.

No one is immune to it. One day I was wearing my 1938 RGP Hamilton rectangular (and small) watch. My 92 year old Mother saw it on my wrist and said "Jim, why are you wearing a woman's watch?" Then I took it off and showed her the inscription. She realized it was identical to the watch her her husband had worn for 50 years... (My aunt gave them to her brothers upon their high school graduation. I was wearing my uncle's... we have the same name so it looked as if it had been inscribed to me )

You are a true vintage collector when you realize size doesn't matter. The watch does.

Collectors also realize almost no one realizes what watch you are wearing... others actually don't notice. It never fails to amaze me... LOL
    Last edited by Eeeb; December 1st, 2012 at 13:21.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Eeeb View Post
    Collectors also realize almost no one realizes what watch you are wearing... others actually don't notice. It never fails to amaze me... LOL
    Sadly, the only watch I've worn in the last year that's garnered a "nice watch" comment is a large chinese-made skeleton watch I bought last year for $20 (new).
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Thank you all for the comments so far. Other than a pre-moon Speedy, I realize most of the watches will be less than 38mm so I'm open to the smaller case sizes. Didn't mean for that preference to dominate.

Quote Originally Posted by AbslomRob View Post
    Sadly, the only watch I've worn in the last year that's garnered a "nice watch" comment is a large chinese-made skeleton watch I bought last year for $20 (new).
    I know the feeling.
    The only positive comment I ever received was when I wore a $10 pin pallet vintage diver.
    If someone gets into vintage watches to garner admiration, interest or positive comment then they are
    going to be severely disappointed.

(edit)...apart from in forums such as this of course....which is why we gather
    Last edited by radger; December 1st, 2012 at 14:18. Reason: add

Other than some of my '70's, the largest vintage I have is a giant late 40's Orfina, which was massive for the period at 35mm.

Like my friends above, nobody I know notices what's on my wrist. The nearest I've had is once from Madame. After spending three hours at the kitchen table cleaning the case and bracelet of a newcomer that morning and then polishing the nearly unsaveable crystal "that looks a bit more shiny dear"

As someone verging on the vertically challenged at a mere 5'7", my motto has always been, "style will overcome size any day"
    redcow likes this.
    John
    Watch Website: www.chambresdebelair.com/watches.html last update 07/11/2012

I'd recommend several watches to get you started.

1) Hamilton with the 770 movement inside. 22 jewel movement with sub seconds, extremely high quality and usually available in de went quality for a moderate price in 10k gold. Often inscribed because they were often given as retirement watches or for xx years of service.

2) Gruen with central seconds and date. These were a popular mid to upper-end watch in the early 1960s. Often available in decent condition for relatively little money.

3) Almost anything made by Benrus that catches your fancy: parts are easily available.

4) Avoid complications for a while. Find a theme or style that suits you. Find a good, really good watchmaker who can make your vintages stand up and sing, and for those watches that you really like, get spare movements for parts.
    Horoticus likes this.
    コスト下げ やる気も一緒に 下げられる

I have a 1958 Omega Railmaster.
    The case is 38mm in diameter, not including the crown.
    The dial is nice and big. It wears like a 40mm, I think you would like it.

Last edited by Justice; December 2nd, 2012 at 02:11.
    Horoticus likes this.
    Ωmega Speedmaster Professional - 1968
    Ωmega Railmaster - 1958
    Ωmega Seamaster - 1970 The wife's
    Wittnauer Sea Dart - 1965 From my great-grandfather
    Marathon TSAR - Work watch
    And various other cheap watches...

"Ex Luna, Scientia"

I have skinny wrists at 6.2". When I wear my rectangular Art Deco watch (quite 'small' at 22 x 29mm), I often get questions like "why are you wearing a ladies' watch?".

Doesn't help when a few of my female colleagues wear Panerais or men's Seamasters / Planet Oceans.

So Eeeb, I completely empathise with you! :)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information