Isn't old stuff valuable? :-)

Thread: Isn't old stuff valuable? :-)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Isn't old stuff valuable? :-)

Seriously, I've found an incredibly unique, gorgeous, and ostensibly old chain for sale in mint condition and I can't believe the auction price is lingering under $50. I see similar looking items on fancy antique websites selling for hundreds of dollars, even more than a thousand dollars in some cases.

How does one make this determination based on visual appearances alone? Can one assume that any chain over 100 years old in mint condition and of a very fancy style is automatically worth a lot?

I know, this whole question sounds silly, I just can't believe it, I'm trying to make sense out of it.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Keith W; December 28th, 2012 at 00:20. Reason: typo

Re: Isn't old stuff valuable? :-)

Hi Keith,

if age has any influence on the value it will reduce it. Missing availability is the only way to get a good price for old stuff, and it is a simple fact, that old stuff can't be produced to meet the demand.

And the different prices for comparable chains (or what ever) are just different business models: $50 ist the model get rid if it, $1000 is the model wait years for the one and only who desperately desires the chain, and who is crazy enough to submit this to the seller with words, mimic etc.

Regards, Roland Ranfft

Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by Keith W View Post
    Seriously, I've found an incredibly unique, gorgeous, and ostensibly old chain for sale in mint condition and I can't believe the auction price is lingering under $50. I see similar looking items on fancy antique websites selling for hundreds of dollars, even more than a thousand dollars in some cases.

How does one make this determination based on visual appearances alone? Can one assume that any chain over 100 years old in mint condition and of a very fancy style is automatically worth a lot?

I know, this whole question sounds silly, I just can't believe it, I'm trying to make sense out of it.

Thanks.
    Gold plate ?
    Hollow ?

What caret and weight is specified?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Some kind of white metal, possibly silver, possibly steel or some alloy.

What does hollow mean?

That value is primarily in the ornate and remarkably unique design.

Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by Keith W View Post

What does hollow mean?

That value is primarily in the ornate and remarkably unique design.
    I was assuming gold

Hollow links are made to make the appearance of 'thick'/chunky chain without the expense of solid material
    pic > Hollow Chain Graphic.gif

Is that what the ad describes it as ? lol

Well, here's the deal. I'll just give you guys the ebay link. That means, of course, that if it's something special, then I'm spilling the beans, but whatever, I'm dying of curiosity what you folks think of this item, so here it is:

1905 RARE Edwardian Ornate Original Thick Pocket Watch Chain Very RARE Mint | eBay

It's positively gorgeous. Other than that, I have little to go on besides the claims in the ad (c1905 Edwardian, mint, unrestored, etc.)

If you think it's worth something and for some reason you aren't inclined to jump on it, let me know. I'm not sure how much I want to spend on a chain anyway, I was just mesmerized by this particular item.

Cheers!

Well, with the way e-bay works it'll probably go a lot higher than $51. There are already 15 bids and it still has over a day left, most of the action happens in the last few minutes so...

Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by Kungfucowboy View Post
    Well, with the way e-bay works it'll probably go a lot higher than $51. There are already 15 bids and it still has over a day left, most of the action happens in the last few minutes so...
    This^

very strange no mention of material or weight throughout the ad

Although that does look very nice, how many people want a heavy chain for a pocket watch? It's a small percentage of people, even smaller than those that use a pocket watch. Even so, you'll probably do well with this auction.
    As the owner of the TV show "Pawn Stars" says: "Just because something's old doesn't mean it's rare or valuable."
    Pink Floyd. Dark side of the moon. Side one, track four.
    Gallet Facebook page:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/GalletChronographs/

Not that useful unfortunately. That is a short chain to be clipped to your belt loop while carrying the watch inside your front pocket. Some may even have trousers with that little pouch inside the right pocket which was originally intended for a pocket watch but now just traps my spare change. Personally, I won't risk carrying my watches inside a pants pocket.
    Tick Talk says, "A watch in the hand is worth two on the wrist"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information