Its been at-least a week... can one have too many Borgel cased watches?
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Its been at-least a week... can one have too many Borgel cased watches?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Its been at-least a week... can one have too many Borgel cased watches?

Can one have too many Borgel cased watches?

For me, obviously no... I think its fair to say, this fling with Borgel cased watches could now be classed as a long term relationship.

Just a quick introduction to the new member of the family, before it goes off for a service (in reality, Im stockpiling sooooo many watches that need a service now, its getting a little scary).

Im sure some of you would have seen this... and yes, im the mad man who bought it, which im sure is no surprise to some of you... and yet again without movement pics (sellers just know how to open them.... and would prefer to see them when they have not 'tried' without success), so the movement today was a complete surprise.

As arrived...

The hairlines were described and seen in the listing... as was the condition of the original cellulose type crystal. It was also described as 37mm diameter... which was a small exaggeration... more like 35.25mm

But, was not the front that interested me...

The back has a lovely engraving on the back!

This is the crest for the 2nd Regiment/Battalion of Life Guards... I have not done much research into this battalion yet...

but in brief, at the start of the 1900s:

During the First World War The Life Guards saw action at Mons, Le Cateau, The Marne, Ypres, Loos, Poelcappelle, Passchendaele and most notably at Zandvoorde where The Life Guards lost two complete Squadrons.

Early in 1918 they gave up their horses and were converted to Machine Gun Battalions, becoming the 1st and 2nd Guards Machine Gun Battalions respectively. They reverted to their proper names shortly after the Armistice.
    In 1922 the 1st and 2nd Life Guards amalgamated and were called "The Life Guards (1st and 2nd)" until 1928 when they were renamed "The Life Guards". During the Second World War, The Life Guards contributed men to both Household Cavalry Regiments, the second of which was described by General Brian Horrocks as "the finest armoured car regiment I have ever seen".

taken from:

The Life Guards - British Army Website

Obviously I dont know who owned it... but out of my Borgels, this joins the small number that would have probably seen action during WW1!

The next thing... what was inside???

Another high grade Gallet movement... and like my Demi-Hunter borgel (and a high percentage of ones Ive seen - not all), has the regulator missing!

Still, its running ok... but will require a proper clean and service.

The case (along with everything else) was very dirty...

but gave this a light clean to show the marks more clearly...

The case markers are a little unusual, As well as carrying the import marks for .925 silver, Birmingham (think this may be my first Birmingham import mark) and 1914/15. It carries the Swiss silver and .935 purity marks.

It also carries the marks of 2 importer.

JR for John Rotherham:

The mark JR in diamond shield is the sponsors mark of John Rotherham, of Rotherham & Sons (see below). This mark was registered at the Birmingham Assay Office, together with the same initials in a rectangular shield, on 15 July 1886, by John Rotherham, Watch & Case makers, trading as Rotherham & Sons, of 4 Spon Street, Coventry

And:

A.G.R. for Arther George Rendell

The AGR initials, with pellets (dots) in between as this "A·G·R", are the sponsor's mark of Arthur George Rendell. Rendell's company of 40/42 Clerkenwell Road, London are recorded as importers of Swiss watches.
    Rendell's sponsors mark was first registered with the London Assay Office on 25 June 1907, following the 1907 Act "Assay of Imported Watch-Cases (Existing Stocks Exemption)" which came into force on 1 June 1907. Rendell was also registered with the Glasgow Assay Office. I don't have a date for this but my records show numbers of watches with the A·G·R sponsor's mark being hallmarked in Glasgow from 1917, so this probably to have a second way of getting watches hallmarked as demand expanded during the War.

Both JR and AGR write ups taken from:

Marks in Watch Cases - Hallmarks, Maker's Marks, Sponsor's Marks

Im not sure of the reason of both marks... any thoughts most welcome. Maybe A.G.R. was the sponsors mark for assay on importing into the UK ... But the watch was sold to JR, who put their trademark on it? this is a guess and not sure when someone who has imported the watch would sell it to another supplier... Like i say, happy to hear some thoughts on this.

Anyway, with a quick clean... I think it gives and idea of how this watch will look once cleaned, relumed and serviced!

People getting bored of these Borgel threads yet?? So much for a quick introduction....

Marc
    Last edited by Sparcster; June 5th, 2013 at 11:38. Reason: info on 'sponsors' marks amended
    joeuk, OCDood and radger like this.
    A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away...

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Twitter: quickpicmarc

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

Re: Its been at-least a week... can one have too many Borgel cased watches?

Ah, very well done

Far too short an introduction

Yes I saw it (of course), and by the way thanks for the reminder on the other watch.

You say:

People getting bored of these Borgel threads yet?? So much for a quick introduction....

Marc

I confess I have not been paying enough attention. Borgel is a case maker who build these trench watch cases? I have noticed a record number of trench watch threads -- they never cause problems so mods can afford to give them light reading LOL.

"Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Mirius View Post

Yes I saw it (of course), and by the way thanks for the reminder on the other watch.
    You're welcome.... did you go for it? only 1 bidder.... bargain IMO.
    A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away...

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Quote Originally Posted by Eeeb View Post
    You say:

Marc

I confess I have not been paying enough attention. Borgel is a case maker who build these trench watch cases?

LOL...

I dont think the record number has anything to do with me... think I may have posted 1 or 2 Borgel threads if you search the forum....

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Yah, I think one or two of the threads might be yours Marc. I didn't bid mainly because of lack of funds, in part because I have now joined the Borgel club even if only with my lowly FHF :-D

Quote Originally Posted by Mirius View Post
    I didn't bid mainly because of lack of funds, in part because I have now joined the Borgel club even if only with my lowly FHF :-D
    Duh... I meant to write that I didn't bid much (over the starting price). Must be my addled wits! I have some background history on the likely owner already, probably will need to rejoin Ancestry.com to dig out some more as it would be nice to know what ship(s) he served on.

I managed to find a few links when I saw it... Will take a look when the laptop is back on. Think I found his death (C2005 iirc) mentioned on a 'boat organisation' news letter... They may be good to contact,

Marc

Mirius, this may help with the family tree...

Chester Brett Jr. | CapeCodOnline.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sparcster View Post
    Can one have too many Borgel cased watches?

For me, obviously no... -->
    Beautiful watch and clean up on it! And thanks for the info as well! I always enjoy learning about the history of watches.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information