It's a Timex, but without the "Ticka Ticka", an SSQ
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By john87300
  • 1 Post By shameless

Thread: It's a Timex, but without the "Ticka Ticka", an SSQ

It's a Timex, but without the "Ticka Ticka", an SSQ

The collection has expanded at the more recent end of the scale this week, and although it might be greeted with raised eyebrows by some, today's post included two LCD's. The first was a Casio 593 A158W Chrono with the original Casio bracelet from 1986. The second, 10 years older was this thick and heavy brute, a 1976 Timex SSQ.

I finally managed to download a pdf of the user manual from the net, which was not totally helpful, especially when considering the two control buttons are unusual. Only 2/3rds round, the flat parts have to be rotated to sit at the top in order to start setting the watch, and then rotated back again to finish setting it. Even more oddly, it seems to make a difference if the buttons are rotated clockwise or anticlockwise. These features don't feature in the manual! Anyway, I got it set after a while and it's running well, with a decently clear and legible screen.
    Not made but assembled in the Philippines, probably in Manila, and not from the cleanest of castings, as you can see from the back, which is a scaled down version of those seen in some Timex Electrics and Q Quartz's

All in all I find it a worthwhile addition to the collection, and something a liitle unusual to amuse me while I continue to search for a decent early French trench watch
    Smoking Joe and busmatt like this.
    John
    Watch Website: www.chambresdebelair.com/watches.html last update 07/11/2012

Re: It's a Timex, but without the "Ticka Ticka", an SSQ

And very handsome it is too.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

[QUOTE=john87300;5425849]The collection has expanded at the more recent end of the scale this week, and although it might be greeted with raised eyebrows by some, today's post included two LCD's. The first was a Casio 593 A158W Chrono with the original Casio bracelet from 1986. The second, 10 years older was this thick and heavy brute, a 1976 Timex SSQ.

I finally managed to download a pdf of the user manual from the net, which was not totally helpful, especially when considering the two control buttons are unusual. Only 2/3rds round, the flat parts have to be rotated to sit at the top in order to start setting the watch, and then rotated back again to finish setting it. Even more oddly, it seems to make a difference if the buttons are rotated clockwise or anticlockwise. These features don't feature in the manual! Anyway, I got it set after a while and it's running well, with a decently clear and legible screen.
    Not made but assembled in the Philippines, probably in Manila, and not from the cleanest of castings, as you can see from the back, which is a scaled down version of those seen in some Timex Electrics and Q Quartz's

All in all I find it a worthwhile addition to the collection, and something a liitle unusual to amuse me while I continue to search for a decent early French trench watch [/QUote

shouldn't be raised eyebrows -an interesting vintage watch full of character - diversity is a joy sometimes with vintage - i love war watches but really enjoy the ahead of their time retro -here is my 70's tissot lcd modelled im sure after the famous casName:  tissot= copy.jpg
Views: 2058
Size:  76.7 KBName:  tissot-=4 copy.jpg
Views: 1891
Size:  108.7 KBiotron -again like yours a really heavy lump with original solid linked bracelet - and you would have no idea how long it took me to work out how to set correct time and date after battery change !!
    john87300 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Can anybody find my raised eyebrow I have lost it now went way too high lol. Dont forget to wear your flairs with that john lol.

[QUOTE=shameless;5426718]
    Quote Originally Posted by john87300 View Post
    The collection has expanded at the more recent end of the scale this week, and although it might be greeted with raised eyebrows by some, today's post included two LCD's. The first was a Casio 593 A158W Chrono with the original Casio bracelet from 1986. The second, 10 years older was this thick and heavy brute, a 1976 Timex SSQ.

All in all I find it a worthwhile addition to the collection, and something a liitle unusual to amuse me while I continue to search for a decent early French trench watch [/QUote

shouldn't be raised eyebrows -an interesting vintage watch full of character - diversity is a joy sometimes with vintage - i love war watches but really enjoy the ahead of their time retro -here is my 70's tissot lcd modelled im sure after the famous casName:  tissot= copy.jpg
Views: 2058
Size:  76.7 KBName:  tissot-=4 copy.jpg
Views: 1891
Size:  108.7 KBiotron -again like yours a really heavy lump with original solid linked bracelet - and you would have no idea how long it took me to work out how to set correct time and date after battery change !!
    My other LCD from the same period is this French JAZ with a Swiss ETA-ESA movement.

With two buttons and a recessed reset it too was a horror ro reset, but even despite its vast depth it's a good wear.

JAZ were one of France's largest clock makers, with watches a very minor part of their output. They were probably the only French maker to embrace the onset of quartz relatively quickly but were still sadly dragged somewhat unwillingly into the arms of Seiko in the 1980's.
    John

Brilliant to see these! A great addition to anyone's collections. I always say that these watches are overlooked. And 1980s retro is all the rage with Casio relaunching remakes of their 1980s classic.

Quote Originally Posted by Smoking Joe View Post
    Brilliant to see these! A great addition to anyone's collections. I always say that these watches are overlooked. And 1980s retro is all the rage with Casio relaunching remakes of their 1980s classic.
    thats right man-these pieces should be celebrated- im not saying you are ever going to pull a bird wearing one- i have rolex and omega stuff but they are not one off any more although they are special to me - nobody asks questions about them because they assume they are snaid -a nice one of this breed gives a very certain pleasure and uniqueness in these times and always they are admired

Quote Originally Posted by joeuk View Post
    Can anybody find my raised eyebrow I have lost it now went way too high lol. Dont forget to wear your flairs with that john lol.
    Still got some somewhere, something like this:

worn whilst listening to JJ Cale's Troubadour album and drinking large vodkas with the woman I later married
    John

Thread Information