IWC Cal 82 Back From Service
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: IWC Cal 82 Back From Service

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

IWC Cal 82 Back From Service

I picked up this watch some time ago and just got it back from servicing. It has an interesting and fairly limited (2400 total made) Cal. 82 movement from 1919-28. I don't know if the 28.5mm Duro case is original. The inside case back is marked Duro Watch Case Co. 10k R.G.P. Bezel Stainless Back. The movement is beautiful and has been keeping good time since a full service. If anyone knows anything more they can offer about this watch I would appreciate it.

Name:  IMG_1525.JPG
Views: 280
Size:  122.3 KBName:  IMG_1526.JPG
Views: 266
Size:  118.8 KBName:  IMG_1527.JPG
Views: 269
Size:  109.4 KBName:  IMG_1522.JPG
Views: 275
Size:  129.4 KBName:  IMG_1523.JPG
Views: 274
Size:  135.1 KBName:  IMG_1521.JPG
Views: 263
Size:  120.2 KBName:  IMG_1524.JPG
Views: 270
Size:  125.9 KBName:  IMG_1519.JPG
Views: 276
Size:  99.7 KBName:  IMG_1520.JPG
Views: 268
Size:  91.5 KBName:  IMG_1528.JPG
Views: 270
Size:  82.8 KB

Re: IWC Cal 82 Back From Service

The case, movement, and numerals are so nice! The numerals look great with the case. Are they both original? What a find!
    "A watch is ruined, not by time, but by bad handling. To run well it should be wound regularly, cleaned yearly, and, if injured, taken to a competent, practical man. A ​Waltham watch properly cared for will last a lifetime." -American Waltham Watch Co. Catalog (c) 1900
    “When your watch gets out of order you have a choice of two things to do: throw it in the fire or take it to the watch-tinker. The former is the quickest.” -Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by CC Texas View Post
    The case, movement, and numerals are so nice! The numerals look great with the case. Are they both original? What a find!
    Thanks for the kind words CC Texas!

The movement is original and although I did have the hands relumed the dial is original as well. The case is what I'm not certain about. I don't think IWC made the cases for this movement but I don't know if the Dura case with this is original it was sold with. I'm hoping some IWC experts might know.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Nice watch! A really classy piece. :)
    I am thinking perhaps only the movement was made by iwc?
    I think if iwc made the case and the dial as well, it would have a sub second register.
    I do not know for sure but i am just guessing here.

Sent from my SHV-E160K using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Horological_Dino View Post
    Nice watch! A really classy piece. :)
    I am thinking perhaps only the movement was made by iwc?
    I think if iwc made the case and the dial as well, it would have a sub second register.
    I do not know for sure but i am just guessing here.

Sent from my SHV-E160K using Tapatalk
    Thanks Dino!

Here is a link with a picture of another dial just like the one on mine minus the lume on the markers so I think the dial is original. The serial numbers on both watches are 755###. With the lume removed the numbers on mine are gold and I noticed a couple of spots that have been scratched on the dial have gold underneath as well. I'm wondering if these might be solid gold dials?

Interesting 1920's IWC | Forum | IWC Schaffhausen
    Horological_Dino likes this.

The movement is very pretty.

IWC didn't make any cases at all before 1978. IWC watches sold in Europe at the time this watch was made were cased in Switzerland by IWC using cases bought from Swiss manufacturers, but many US watches have US made cases. I doubt that US cases were shipped to Switzerland. The Duro Watch Case Co, Inc, is recorded at 74 Lafayette St, NYC 13. It seems most likely that the movement was exported to IWC's US agency and they arranged for it to be cased in the US, in a style in line with local fashion at the time.

The case is a very tight fit to the movement. An earlier case style with rounded rather than flat sides to the case would be larger, a 12 ligne movement would occupy a rounded side case about 33mm diameter. The fashion in the late 1920s and 1930s was for mens watches to be made smaller, this case has been designed with that in mind.

The dial plate is not gold, although the applied numbers probably are. There wouldn't be much point in making the dial plate from gold when it was going to be painted over and fitted into a gold-plated and steel case. A gold dial plate would have been the most expensive part of the watch, yet not seen! Dial plates were usually made from copper or brass, the yellow colour under the paint is most likely brass.

The movement is a savonnette layout so the fourth wheel is at the right place for a small seconds display at 6, the seconds must have been omitted intentionally. The dial is a nice clean art-deco design, perhaps the style-conscious designer felt that a small seconds display would make it look "old fashioned".

The reason that only 2,400 cal. 82 movements were made is something of a mystery. The cal 64, a savonnette layout movement of the same 12 ligne size, was first made by IWC in the 1890s and continued in production into the late 1930s. The cal 82 was the first 12 ligne movement that IWC made that could have taken over the from the cal 64, but for some reason it didn't. Presumably some feature such as cost of manufacturing or durability meant that the cal 64 continued to be favoured. The first three batches of cal 82 were made in 1920, then no more were made until, rather strangely, a single final batch was made in 1928.

David

That's great information and I really appreciate it. Your comment regarding the dial plate makes perfect sense and I'm sure it is brass, however the number are not applied but rather are the actual plate color. There are a few scratches on the dial that confirms this. The Arabic numbers might have been lumed originally and the lume wore off and was removed completely during a service at some point?

Quote Originally Posted by mmarc77 View Post
    I picked up this watch some time ago and just got it back from servicing. It has an interesting and fairly limited (2400 total made) Cal. 82 movement from 1919-28. I don't know if the 28.5mm Duro case is original. The inside case back is marked Duro Watch Case Co. 10k R.G.P. Bezel Stainless Back. The movement is beautiful and has been keeping good time since a full service. If anyone knows anything more they can offer about this watch I would appreciate it.
    In case anyone else comes across this old thread, I wanted to add that it is probably an original case - these movements were sold to be cased, and I don't know why a movement like that would have been re-cased later, particularly when the style of the case is appropriate for the age of the movement. I have an old family piece (my avatar - sorry for the current photo quality) that has to have be all original, with one of these movements in a case by Cresarrow, who are documented as having supplied them to various high-end retailers including Tiffany. Apparently this movement was made more or less exclusively for export.

This and at least one other example I've seen, all have that characteristic matte off-white dial with applied gold leaf numerals, leading me to suspect that the dials must have come from IWC, even though they are in different shapes - that, or the IWC movements that were exported to the US all then had dials made for the case shapes by the same third party. While mine also has no labeling on the dial, another I've seen had the retailer's name as well as "International Watch Co." and "Shaffhausen"; I can't remember whether the Tiffany example included the IWC name.

The production runs of this caliber in 1920 and 1928, and their serial numbers, are documented in a thread at:

https://www.iwc.com/forum/en/discussion/31599/

The movement in my watch has a serial number marking is as just the 4th in the first production run. I think it is also unusual in having more adjustments than some of the later production in the same caliber, and some of the notes in IWC thread above indicate that the jewel count may have varied as well.

I'm interested to hear where these movements might be serviced - I've heard that IWC will refuse to service them if they're not fully branded models with IWC marked cases, though I've also seen it said that IWC claims that they can repair anything they ever made. Mine apparently needs gears replaced or made for where the stem engages with the movement to set and wind it, which is beyond what the old-school European watch repairman who I had look at it could do - and when I took it into some Swiss guys who were apparently real watchmakers decades ago, when the problem was probably first starting to develop (it doesn't get much use), they apparently either missed whatever wear there was, or it was beyond their skillset, too.
    I'm more interested in the styling of my watches, than the quantity:
    Everyday
    : Contemporary Omega De Ville Prestige Co-Axial Power Reserve 39.5 mm, steel on black leather strap, blue dial with Roman numerals, sub seconds and reserve, 424.13.40.21.03.001 cal. 2627 (2500D) - great timekeeper, but about to go to the OB for a rotor grinding noise 2.5 years out
    Dress: c. 1989 EBEL 1911 cal. 93 35mm automatic 14K and steel on bracelet, slate gray dial with Roman numerals, sweep seconds; early 20th century Hamilton cal. 987s in colored gold cases on leather and reptile bands, sub seconds
    Legacy: 1920 IWC early sav. cal. 82 in original 33mm Cresarrow 14k octagonal case on tan leather strap; 1943 Omega cal. 30T2PC Ref. MI 2317 35mm steel on black leather strap, sub seconds; various inherited and collected vintage wrist and pocket watches
    Current project watch: early EBEL Sport Classic Carree wave tank watch cal. 91 quartz 24x30mm (ref. 181902)

Quote Originally Posted by JPCass View Post
    . . . . these movements were sold to be cased, . . . .
    Sure.

Quote Originally Posted by JPCass View Post
    . . . . needs gears replaced or made for where the stem engages with the movement to set and wind it, . . . .
    Part numbers?
    Attached Images Attached Images

JPCass likes this.
    Courtesy of ULF.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information