IWC cal. 83

Thread: IWC cal. 83

IWC cal. 83

Hello, everyone. Would you mind taking a look at this IWC, fellows? I'm especially concerned about the dial, but the movement apparently has seen better days - it even seems to lack some screws on the bridges. Additionaly, there should be a ruby on the center wheel, shouldn't it? It seems that someone put some metal bearing on this place.

Name:  IWC1.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  148.5 KBName:  IWC3.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  174.6 KBName:  IWC2.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  168.5 KB
    "We can forgive a man for making a useful thing as long as he does not admire it. The only excuse for making a useless thing is that one admires it intensely.
    All art is quite useless."

Oscar Wilde

"Vou-me embora pra Pasárgada
    Lá sou amigo do rei
    Lá tenho a mulher que eu quero
    Na cama que escolherei."

Manuel Bandeira

Re: IWC cal. 83

As far as I see, it is a redial. The movement has 2 screws missing....but the 2 that are missing are case screws so that does not matter.

Have you seen if there are 15j versions of that cal?

Edit**

A quick Google search has yielded multiple images of 15j versions of this cal.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk
    https://www.ThePassthrough.com

I also tend to think it's an older redial. While the "handwritten" logo is pretty variable on older models, the unevenness in "SCHAFFHAUSEN" and in the sub-dial markers seems a bit too much to be original. I also think the hands may have been replaced.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Elvis Silva...Hello. Although I do not know this watch, I have / currently do own, IWC. To my mind, this watch looks just fine: unless the Seller indicates that the dial is Original--in which case you'll need to do a bit more research!--or, the asking price seems high, this looks like a pretty nice older IWC.

On a personal level: I think that there's a bit too much emphasis being placed on Originality...if you like the watch / the price seems OK / the seller does not declare that it's 'all original' / then , simply, buy the watch! It's you who'll live with it, not those who comment upon it.

If you like it, buy it. The watch needs a good home! Michael.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Maddan View Post
    Elvis Silva...Hello. Although I do not know this watch, I have / currently do own, IWC. To my mind, this watch looks just fine: unless the Seller indicates that the dial is Original--in which case you'll need to do a bit more research!--or, the asking price seems high, this looks like a pretty nice older IWC.

On a personal level: I think that there's a bit too much emphasis being placed on Originality...if you like the watch / the price seems OK / the seller does not declare that it's 'all original' / then , simply, buy the watch! It's you who'll live with it, not those who comment upon it.

If you like it, buy it. The watch needs a good home! Michael.
    Hello, Michael! When it comes down to the choices one makes about what watches to wear, I must say I'm 100% with you: choose what you like and be happy. I like my vintage watches for sheer admiration of their endurance, for the excellence of their making and for the beauty (to my eyes) of their style. Knowing that my timepieces will pass unnoticed, most of the time, by non-WIS, I can say for honest that I wear my watches for myself.

On the other hand, I do care about originality for a number of reasons. First, there is a matter of honesty and of avoiding being duped: as you know, many vendors offer their pieces as all original ones, even if they are not... and they certainly charge for that supposed originality!! So, for the sake of a healthy market for vintage timepieces, I tend to avoid redials and assembled pieces, particularly those marketed as original.

Second, I tend to admire those pieces that endured the rigours of the time unmolested. It testifies the quality of their making and the care of their former masters. Even if the piece shows some marks of wear, I tend to cherish those as a sign of a well lived and probably healthy life: if some particular timepiece has actually experienced quite a deal of wrist time, it is probably because it has earned its former master's confidence, sufficient reason for me to trust it as well.

Third, many redials and replacements tend to be inferior to the original work they strive to mimic. In this case, I prefer to wait and see if something better appears. In my experience, it always does.

All my reasons listed, I must say it doesn't mean I'm intolerant with some inaccuracies: crowns, buckles, acrylic cystals and straps are parts very prone to wear. So, I tend not to mind if those are not original. To tell the truth, I even own an assembled watch: it is a monopusher chronograph equipped with caliber Valjoux GHT. Only its movement is old: case and dial were custom made. I got it on a deal with my watchmaker, who had a debt with me, in payment of which he offered the watch. It's a beautiful watch, so I thought: "Hell, why not??". I usually buy my watches for daily wear and for hobby, not for investment, so, I'm not really interested in resale value...

Cool watch, sorry about the dial refinish.

Quote Originally Posted by VESPASIAN View Post
    Cool watch, sorry about the dial refinish.
    Isn't it? Such a fine and beautiful movement... I do own a cal. 89, but the aesthetics on cal. 83 is truly reminiscent of those gorgeous pocket watch movements of yore.
    "We can forgive a man for making a useful thing as long as he does not admire it. The only excuse for making a useless thing is that one admires it intensely.
    All art is quite useless."

Oscar Wilde

"Vou-me embora pra Pasárgada
    Lá sou amigo do rei
    Lá tenho a mulher que eu quero
    Na cama que escolherei."

Manuel Bandeira

DON

Dial is refinished. You can see some paint on the 7. Hands look incorrect and minute is a touch long

No screws missing. Those are for case clamp screws, but appears to be a 2 piece case, so clamps would not have been used in this design

Also. Top right lug may have been replaced as the shape is not the same as the others. Heavily rounded in areas.

Crown incorrect and wrong color

Personally. I wouldn't buy it. While some things can be corrected. It's the lug that bothers me and devalues the overall price of the watch unless you pay a professional goldsmith to properly reshape it to match

DON

Thread Information