IWC cal. 89

Thread: IWC cal. 89

IWC cal. 89

I have a question
    the watch

IWC

whether it is original

seller claims that it is 100% original (case, crown).

Is it completely original?

Re: IWC cal. 89

It certainly looks like an IWC Cal 89... but the color of the crown's gold does not match the color of the case's gold. So it is probably not original.

I hope that helps.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Hi and welcome!

Looks like a nice watch,

I would question the dial finish... I think its been repainted.. its done well... but repainted nonetheless!

Crown does looks like a replacement!

Cheers
    A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away...

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Twitter: quickpicmarc

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Sparcster View Post
    Hi and welcome!

Looks like a nice watch,

I would question the dial finish... I think its been repainted.. its done well... but repainted nonetheless!

Crown does looks like a replacement!

Cheers
    Sparcaster I would like to know what your basing your opinion on? My understanding is that one of the things that makes IWC watches great is the quality of the dial finish and it's ability to withstand aging with little or no patina. Everything except the crown looks correct to me but I'm not an IWC expert.

Quote Originally Posted by nsmike View Post
    My understanding is that one of the things that makes IWC watches great is the quality of the dial finish and it's ability to withstand aging with little or no patina.
    Hi there mike...

I am basing this on what you just said... great quality of dial finish... I dont think the baton finish is uniform... Looking at the pics, there is slight variation in the shape of the points on the batons... Now, I realise its very hard to tell this from pics... and it could be the way the crystal refracts the image...

I agree that the style of crown looks right... but should the material not match the case?
    Last edited by Sparcster; May 25th, 2011 at 18:30.
    A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away...

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Following on from that...

if you see the link:

Buy Calibre 89 18ct IWC watch, Sold Watches Sydney - KalmarAntiques

In my opinion... the finish is different and I think the batons are not finished as well as the one in the link!?

Again.. this is an opinion... I could be wrong?

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

In my opinion ... This is the IWC Grande Taille EN OR MASSIF (as the Sparcster's link)

Name:  150710_084312_PEEL_GZBGSB.JPG
Views: 4179
Size:  37.8 KB

Name:  150710_084439_PEEL_gffCHR.JPG
Views: 3322
Size:  55.3 KB

original manual wind was inserted into another case (not 18c as in the original) with a lid from another case (missing two screws).

second center is too small

"Again .. this is an opinion ..."
    Last edited by chefchaouene; May 25th, 2011 at 19:33.

Dear Mike

I refinished tens of such dials, these are the classic IWC cal 89.
    Not to mix with earlier models where the dial was made of silver with hard enamel prints and solid raised gold markers which were indeed, top of the line dials,
    In fact the Cal 88 and 89 models are in my opinion some the best movements ever made in vintage watches but unfortunately I will have to disagree with regards to the quality of the dial which does not preserve very well at all and to be very honest - apart of Omega and Tissot which by far used crappy dials finish more than anyone else, IWC are the third most common dial refinish job I do. VERY bad dials.

Now about this particular example;
    First of all the case; 88 and 89 models came in solid gold and stainless steel. Never seen one in gold plated before and I doubt if it existed, doesn't look like IWC standard to me;
    One thing that raised suspicion is the IWC mark on the back of the case; You can see it is too large, too sharp as if it was laser etched and not stamped as should have been.
    This is how a correct one looks like with the correct fonts: http://www.leski.com.au/ebay/watch4.jpg
    I may be wrong but I don't have a good feeling about this case.

The dial is a good refinish - Good fonts, crisp and the tone of the pearl surface is quite correct though too matte in my opinion; The correct classic finish should be satin.
    But certainly not original. Look a few earlier threads with my recommendations on how to spot a refinished dial - classic refinishers' 'mistakes'.
    In this case they failed with the classic pearl index and pen-plated the gold pearls instead of re-pearl-drill them.
    For the technical definitions see DEFINITIONS page in my website at:
    www.dialrefinish.net

So basically you have a real IWC caliber and a good refinished dial.
    For the rest I would be more suspicious as to how original the other parts really are. Hope this is helpful!

Eldarinn

thank you very much for such a comprehensive explanation...
    Adam Adamandy Kochanski

Thread Information