IWC cal. 89 dial question

Thread: IWC cal. 89 dial question

IWC cal. 89 dial question

I have a question about the dials for the IWC cal. 89.

Are they all interchangeable? Will one dial fit any other cal. 89 case/movement? Or did they have minor variations? It seems there is a problem with fitting a dial from this watch shown (a stainless steel version) to another cal. 89 movement. Hopping Dr. Ranfft can sort this out for me!

Name:  cal 89 dial.jpg
Views: 3837
Size:  112.0 KB

Thanks, Linden

Re: IWC cal. 89 dial question

i probably shouldn't answer this as i have no knowledge of the specifics of the cal. 89, but...

in my experience with other movements, the answer has been no. the dial feet may be in the same position, but some companies would dome the dials a little more, depending on case design, and this would, in turn, necessitate longer hour and minute arbors. so there could be variations within the same caliber that go un-noted.

but really, an iwc expert should chime in.

Definitely not. In other words, movements were placed in different sized cases, so the dial for one will not necessarily work in another. It is possible that you could get lucky, and find two watches that would be interchangeable, but you would need to do careful examinations of both watches to be sure.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks Tony, that's what I was thinkging, but good to have it confirmed.

Cip

Hello everybody, hello Linden,
    I bought the dial some weeks ago, and cannot install it on my IWC C.89 movement.
    The problem is not the diameter or the curvature, but the feet position and distance.

Till now I thought that all C.89 movements are compatible with their dials on feet positions because it is difficult for a watch manufacturer to handle variations of a movement caliber, with different holes positions for different dial designs/dimensions, but who knows?!?
    My old dial has a diameter of 31.5mm and a distance between its feet of 22.3mm
    The new dial has a diameter of 30mm and a distance of 19.6mm
    Could this last one come from an IWC C.401?

Thank you all!
    Kind regards, Cip

I don't know the answer. I suppose you've already considered cutting the feet off and using dial stickers or glue-on dial feet:

Dial Stickers and Dial Feet
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Cip

Thanks Marrick, but cutting the feet is not an option for me. I woud only destroy a good dial and turn my watch into a "franken".

I am sure that here are many watchmakers or hobbysts who worked with dozens of C89 and can confirm thet the feet on the dials and the holes on the movements are always in the same position and at the same distance.
    ...and that my new dial cannot come from an C89...

Thread Information