IWC S&Co 27.8mm Peerless lever set movement. Help needed .....
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: IWC S&Co 27.8mm Peerless lever set movement. Help needed .....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

IWC S&Co 27.8mm Peerless lever set movement. Help needed .....

I found this at the boot sale this morning not quite getting the importance in the early morning gloaming. It is running but needs a case and a seconds hand. I can probably get a hand without too much trouble, but a case for a lever set movement like this could be a bit trickier.
    So, some questions:
    Is it a small pocket watch movement or a wristwatch?
    Has anyone any info about it that they would be willing to share?
    Or perhaps a link to some?
    Would it be worth trying to make into a wristwatch?
    Name:  SAM_8761.JPG
Views: 206
Size:  1.36 MB
    Name:  SAM_8770.JPG
Views: 209
Size:  375.9 KB
    Name:  SAM_8763.JPG
Views: 202
Size:  607.5 KB

S and Co, Peerless and IWC seem to go hand-in-hand in the few ads for sale on ebay. I don't know whether to sell or keep. Have any of my thread-pals any thoughts?

Re: IWC S&Co 27.8mm Peerless lever set movement. Help needed .....

Well, the size is not exactly correct, but it does look somewhat like an IWC cal 63: bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: IWC 63 12'''tir

Here is an article about the use of cal 63 and 64 movements in ladies pendant watches: IWC Pocket Watch | Calibre 63/64
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

Thanks for the link. Perhaps it is not as earth-shattering as I thought.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

A little more research gives a date of 1901 for a savonette style watch of 12.5 ligne which looks about right. The fourth wheel is missing its pinion for the seconds hand so this may take a while to track down. It has a Fabrique d'Horlogerie number of 224 just in case anyone has one laying around that they don't need.
    This is a bit of a scary project in that it is an order of magnitude or two bigger in importance than that which I normally tinker with, still, if you don't try.........
    Last edited by slopingsteve; March 20th, 2018 at 20:54.

Name:  SAM_8860.JPG
Views: 167
Size:  1.40 MB

Bid and bought this 1910 G.Stockwell sponsored silver case figuring it looked about the right size. It is damn near perfect.
    Name:  SAM_8864.JPG
Views: 174
Size:  1.56 MB
    Name:  SAM_8862.JPG
Views: 178
Size:  1.51 MB

The hunt for the fourth wheel led me to John, the Tocdoc. I'll let you know ...........................
    busmatt, Charon, joeuk and 2 others like this.

Name:  SAM_8865 (3).JPG
Views: 166
Size:  809.3 KB

IMHO: heading up the aisle to a marriage made in heaven.

PS. Knackered old strap and old plastic yellow crystal just to see how it looks and feels.
    busmatt and Sam-C-NYC like this.

It feels very classy but that could just be me "projecting".
    Polished the yellow crystal up and it looks much better but then read that these old plastics exude chlorine and flourine which turn into acid in contact with moisture and attack just about anything; cheery news. Leave the case open when possible, I guess, until the new crystal arrives.
    The winding stem has a square cross section end, so I cannot attach a normal crown, which will mean coming up with a new stem or perhaps winding with a key or something else: We'll see. At the moment winding is done very carefully with a screwdriver via the crown wheel with just enough turns to run for a few hours, so there is the very least resistance while winding.
    The fourth wheel and pinion has arrived from the Tocdoc - brilliant man and service. I'd barely sent off the payment and there it was on my doormat, packaged to survive a nuclear explosion - so major disassembly is imminent. I'll try to post some interesting photos. It's always a good idea to take photos anyhow, to help remember where all the bits go.
    Last edited by slopingsteve; March 25th, 2018 at 11:02.
    busmatt likes this.

Name:  SAM_8908 (2).JPG
Views: 144
Size:  370.3 KB

So....
    Obviously, when you get an opportunity like this, reading around the new subject turns up a lot of stuff you didn't know. The marks on the balance side of the movement are PEERLESS and S&Co along with the number 247354. Schaffhausen, where IWC were based, and Stauffer and co - the makers of PEERLESS watches, are separated by 200 kms.
    Stauffer were a big company with trade all over the British Empire and when they ran out of their own movements they bought in from IWC and others. A deal of confusion is sown by people thinking that PEERLESS, Stauffer and IWC are basically all the same company, but unless the movement is marked IWC there is a very good chance that a mistake has been made. I, being the lucky bas**rd that I am, have managed to get hold of a marked IWC movement.

As it stands this pm....
    Name:  SAM_8939.JPG
Views: 147
Size:  679.2 KB
    I've spent a good part of the morning sorting out a crown and a pusher for the little darling. The pusher was simply a panel pin filed down, cut and polished to fit into the hole at the 4 o'clock position. Its held in by the contact with the lever inside.
    The crown was a bit more lateral, thinking-wise.
    Name:  SAM_8937.JPG
Views: 137
Size:  647.5 KB
    Name:  SAM_8938.JPG
Views: 136
Size:  461.1 KB

The original case for the watch, back in the distant past, had a crown and part-stem attached to the case.The shaft that the clutch slides along slides into and out of the fixed crown. My case from the internet does not have the facility for such niceties so I had to fashion the neck of an old crown into a square that would slide onto the clutch shaft.
    Turned out more simple than I thought it would be, and with the crown squared and then squeezed just a fraction to provide an interference fit I now have watch which I can wind by the crown and also set the time.
    The new uncoloured crystal lacks the character of the old yellow one but makes up for it by being a new and unblemished. I think the watch looks a bit classier now.
    I realise that my approach to this appears somewhat spendthrift (to put it politely) but there is reason for this that I will reveal when I am satisfied with the result.
    Paleotime, Charon and busmatt like this.

Name:  SAM_8959.JPG
Views: 131
Size:  1.09 MBWell, this might be...(choke)... The Last Post..... (stirring, melancholy trumpet plays in the background)...... about this watch, certainly for a while. The Tokdok has provided an excellent service, taking a fourth wheel out of a cal 64 that he had, and sending it. My watch doesn't fit the cal 64 part sent and subsequent dialogue suggests complications and disappointment for me in the near future in the search, so a change of tack is required. In the mean time I have affixed a sub-seconds just to fill the hole, and ordered a slightly better strap.
    Questions obviously remain: the "dateyouriwc" site throws up the info given and yet the parts don't fit; Why?
    Wtf am I going to do about it and where do I start?
    Has anyone got a pile of old fourth wheels that I can trawl through?
    Do you feel sorry for me?

The answer to the last should be a declamatory "NO!" This watch is now working and adorning my wrist and it makes me feel like a prince. It is accurate to within 30 seconds a day, and I can now wind it and change the time as I should be able. It is startlingly attractive and not in a mysterious way but intimately, because I know it inside-out. It obviously retains some mystery which the above questions hopefully, when answered, will address.
    Now the kicker in the "Don't feel sorry for me" thing: The movement cost me £2; the case £12; the new crystal £2; total £16, plus a few hours of my free time.. I've got to say that I think that is money well spent.

This is not the end of the story. Stay tuned......occasionally.
    Charon, thoth, marks55 and 3 others like this.

I guess there is no chance that you could add the sub-seconds post to the existing fourth wheel? It seems I have read about this in old watchmaking books/courses - but I don't remember much about it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information