If you look at watch markets or at ebay for pocket watches you'll see a quite high number of these colorful imposing osman pocket watches with senceless glas beat decoration on the bridges which simulate capstones on the wheel bearings. Usually these watches are 15 jewel movements with midgrade quality 1880 but still sold until 1920.
Beyond collectors the fairy story excist that this are all billodes but the sign of differend makers and differences in details speaks another language. But this isn't the topic here. On many of these watches you find the name : "J. Dent London" sometimes on the dial and if its there definetly on the bridge over the rachet wheel. Like on these watch in top condition (with friendly permission of Mani L.) :
Dependent on mikrolisk I count the differend out of ebay makersigns which use J.Dent . The result was:
- 6x K.Serkisof & Cie (J.Dent only on the bridge inside / import sign serkisof konstantinopel)
- 4x Louis Perret signs reg. 1834 und 1909
- 4x Otto Wiederecht / or L. A. Mairot Freres (reg. 1891 /and 1901)
- 1x definetly Otto Wiederecht (reg. 1894)
- 1x Jacot freres 1x´(Tunnel 1881 reg.)
- 1x another watch in osman style but complete different movement "Tour de Salonique" / unknown maker
- 1x Billodes ( George Favre Jacot movement Werk) with J.Dent on dial and bridge
- 3x J.Dent without any additional maker signs
Here are at least 6 makers who use J.Dent as a label or importeur. I'm not able to understand why a long transport with tax and papers to london and than to constantinopel or another osman place make any sence. If you look on the casecover it might race up also problems with these "english hallmark fakes".
Therefore I personal think its just a phantom maybe by the makers or the turkish importeurs. This make sence, because english pocket watches enjoyed at the time an excellent reputation. If I'm right I think its crazy that they all use the same name and you find enough watches without J.Dent.
Any ideas or facts to understand why what was then made, are required
Kind regards Silke
P.S. Sorry to all collectors of fine english pw ..I dont forget the E. ...these are really other watch high lights.