Jacot Pocketwatch

Thread: Jacot Pocketwatch

Question Jacot Pocketwatch

I inherited a pocketwatch several years ago and am trying to determine its origin. I am not a collector, but appreciate the beauty of this piece. The description is limited by my knowledge of the subject. This is one of six watches that my great great uncle bartered for services with. He was a dentist. It is a turned silver hunters case, with ornate designs. Warranteed Fine Silver and the number 82201 are stamped inside the front cover. This same number is found on other parts of the watch. The dial is white, with roman numerals and has F G Jacot, Chaux de Fonds on its face. F.G. JACOT, CHAUX-DE-FONDS, Straight line lever and N82201 are marked on the outside of the mechanism cover (?). The mechanism is gold gilded and is signed F G Jacot. I believe there are eleven "visible" ruby or garnet jewels. The key has an unknown hallmark (4 ?). I also have a dove-tailed, wooden box that may or may not be original to the watch. It is old...you can smell the age. The watch runs fine and is in good condition. I have plenty of info. on Georges Favre-Jacot founder of Zenith, but no luck with F G Jacot. Please excuse my ignorance and thanks in advance for any assistance:thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by dkleinecke; May 24th, 2010 at 04:45.

Re: Jacot Pocketwatch

Without pictures it's very difficult to ID any vintage watch. There were many Jacots in Switzerland who were in the watch business. Probably it's possible to give some idea of the age of the watch if you can post a picture.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

I hope to load some pictures tonight. Thanks for the response.
    Last edited by dkleinecke; May 23rd, 2010 at 21:12.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Nice case but a picture of the movement is really what's needed. Certainly a keywind means 19th century, but that's all we could say at this point.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Quote Originally Posted by Ray MacDonald View Post
    Nice case but a picture of the movement is really what's needed. Certainly a keywind means 19th century, but that's all we could say at this point.
    The movement is included in one of the seven photos. Is it too fuzzy to distinguish?

Got it. From the look of the parallel design, straight bridges and the straight barrel bridge it's probably a Le Coultre style movement popular from the 1840s up until 1885 or so. A lot of these were cylinder movements, but yours is a lever movement. That probably marks it as later on in the period and is also a better grade of watch. My best guess would be around 1870. Again no mention of FG Jacot in any texts I have.

v76

Could be Georges Favre-Jacot, founder of Zenith? Perhaps not ... would be Le Locle then, not Chaux-de-Fonds.
    Last edited by v76; May 21st, 2010 at 20:16.
    Collection:
    A few of this and some of the other ...

"I worked my way up from nothing to a state of extreme poverty" - Groucho Marx

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Well, this one has me wondering - a lot! I am even thinking that it might be a fake! Old, 100+ years, but still a fake.

If you compare the movement to the "Billodes Turques" movement of G. Favre-Jacot's company:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=398491

...they look almost identical. But not quite - there are very minor differences from what I can see of yours, e.g. between the (hooked) end of the centre wheel bridge. More importantly, the quality is not really up to scratch - the capstones on the geartrain are missing. I therefore wonder whether someone got hold of the right movement as a raw ebauche or a very similar one from another maker and put it in a watch with "FG Jacot" on the dial, hoping that someone would fall for it being close enough to "GF Jacot" not to notice.

If it is the real thing, I have to point out that this movement was made right up to 1905 according to the Zenith calibre lists.

Hartmut Richter

It has had me many wondering since 2001. This was the only watch, out of six, that was silver, the others were gold. My siblings and I each chose one and I chose this one because it was unique. I would love to know the history of the piece, but may have to settle with knowing that it is just an "old" pocketwatch. That does not take away from its beauty. Thanks for your input.

Quote Originally Posted by Hartmut Richter View Post
    Well, this one has me wondering - a lot! I am even thinking that it might be a fake! Old, 100+ years, but still a fake.

If you compare the movement to the "Billodes Turques" movement of G. Favre-Jacot's company:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=398491

...they look almost identical. But not quite - there are very minor differences from what I can see of yours, e.g. between the (hooked) end of the centre wheel bridge. More importantly, the quality is not really up to scratch - the capstones on the geartrain are missing. I therefore wonder whether someone got hold of the right movement as a raw ebauche or a very similar one from another maker and put it in a watch with "FG Jacot" on the dial, hoping that someone would fall for it being close enough to "GF Jacot" not to notice.

If it is the real thing, I have to point out that this movement was made right up to 1905 according to the Zenith calibre lists.

Hartmut Richter

There was a company, Jacot, Freres, La Locle, Geneve
    This may be possibly the company of Fritz Jacot and his brother Gustave Jacot.
    Eckhard said that G.F Jacot (G&F Jacot?) of Le Locle was awarded US Patent No. 272,553 in 1883, for a watch escapment.
    But you state that it is F G Jacot, so it might be an obscure maker.
    Pritchard has 33 listings of Jacot. So there are quite likely more out there.

Thread Information