James Dean Lucky Pocket Watch
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: James Dean Lucky Pocket Watch

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

James Dean Lucky Pocket Watch

Antiquorum Auctions James Dean’s Lucky Pocketwatch

Antiquorum Auctions James Dean's Lucky Pocketwatch

Probably be the highest price paid for an Elgin???
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Re: James Dean Lucky Pocket Watch

Maybe he should have kept it, coz his luck run out.
    nome93 likes this.
    tempore pulcher

Haha. Lol
    True. Big time.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Vintage & NAWCC Forum moderator Ben_hutcherson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HOROLOGIST007 View Post
    Probably be the highest price paid for an Elgin???
    We'll see what it ultimately brings, but #101(personal watch of Benjamin W. Raymond) sold in the late '80s for close to $13K.
    Member National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors
    Member, NAWCC Chapter 149. Vice President and Secretary NAWCC Chapter 140. Member, NAWCC Convention Committee.
    Serious collector of American pocket watches-Waltham(and the predecessor companies) is my specialty.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben_hutcherson View Post
    We'll see what it ultimately brings, but #101(personal watch of Benjamin W. Raymond) sold in the late '80s for close to $13K.
    I think I would wager a small bet that this goes for more
    Interesting
    Einstein's (Longines) sold for more than John Lennons (XX) - Its all 'relative' LOL
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    Adam

The provenance seems a bit light; it's a turn of the century watch alleged to have been bought second hand by James Dean, according to the person he gave it to. They dial states "Standard U.S.A", which normally refers to N.Y. Standard watch company, they describe it as having 5 jewels, and claim that both the movement and case are signed. I'm guessing it's actually a NY Standard pocket watch in an Elgin WatchCase Company case, and that the people at Antiquorium need to take a "pocket watch 101" course.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Quote Originally Posted by AbslomRob View Post
    The provenance seems a bit light; it's a turn of the century watch alleged to have been bought second hand by James Dean, according to the person he gave it to. They dial states "Standard U.S.A", which normally refers to N.Y. Standard watch company, they describe it as having 5 jewels, and claim that both the movement and case are signed. I'm guessing it's actually a NY Standard pocket watch in an Elgin WatchCase Company case, and that the people at Antiquorium need to take a "pocket watch 101" course.
    Not sure that matters, it could be a sand timer - its 'just' if the provenance proves it was owned by James Dean.
    If it was not, then Antiquorium will be in big trouble

A

and
    Adam

I'm rather bemused by their statement " In the movie East of Eden, he is seen wearing this watch with an alternative cover in order to hide his initials “J.D”."

Maybe I'm cynical, but an alternative cover? I'm pretty sure it would have been easier to just get some other pocket watch; how exactly would you put an "alternative cover" on a turn-of-the-century hunter-cased pocket watch?

Quote Originally Posted by AbslomRob View Post
    I'm rather bemused by their statement " In the movie East of Eden, he is seen wearing this watch with an alternative cover in order to hide his initials “J.D”."

Maybe I'm cynical, but an alternative cover? I'm pretty sure it would have been easier to just get some other pocket watch; how exactly would you put an "alternative cover" on a turn-of-the-century hunter-cased pocket watch?
    Who knows - its all about 'commercial' marketing LOL

and
    Adam

Yeah, to a point. It bugs me in this particular case becuase Antiquorium markets themselves as "The World's Premier Auctioneers of Modern and Vintage Timepieces", yet they seem to be making mistakes that would make even a novice collector question their horological experience. I might forgive them if it was just one of the many generic watches they were auctioning; I wouldn't necessarily expect them to do a detailed inspection of every piece they handle. But this is a headlining piece that they're splashing all over their webpage and getting reviews of. Would it kill them to post a movement shot?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information