AT & JE Meylan Lemania CH27
Like Tree13Likes
  • 12 Post By thoth
  • 1 Post By thoth

Thread: AT & JE Meylan Lemania CH27

AT & JE Meylan Lemania CH27

So over the last 2 weekends I have been buying watches from a local older gentleman. He is not doing too well heath wise and is concerned with the future of his collections. He has 2 sons and neither likes watches. I can't help with the clocks but the wrist watches....

His passion is American pocket watches and clocks. He does not know a lot of wristwatches so I am educating him as best as possible. Mainly using my phone for the internet. He has no computers, smartphones, or internet...never has never will.

So I have been buying at fair agreed on prices. I show him the going rate for a particular watch and we negotiate. He has been extremely happy and I have dropped $700 cash so far. Anyway...enough background.

Yesterday we had gone over a few watches and I paid. He went to get a bag to put the watches in and there was a box, pistol, bags of watches etc. I asked if I could have a look....he said help myself. Lots of junk...a few interesting better names. Then I had a look through other drawers. In the top drawer there was this chronograph movement, dial, hands, hour wheel, stem, case back. All sitting in the lid of a plastic kitchen container. I asked about it and his response..."No idea. I think I last looked at that 35 years ago." I poked and prodded it and the staff was good. Not sure if anything was missing but the case and chronograph seconds. He then just offered it up. I protested and wanted to pay him for it....he would have nothing of it. He said if I could get it going and find a case he would be happy to know I had it.

So after some coaxing and oil I found it will work. Staff and hairspring were good and besides the missing case and hand...it was complete. Well I saw him today and in a different drawer....there was the case. Well now it has become an obsession of a watch for me. It does need a piece on the spacer so that the reset works. Needs a crown and new stem. I have chronograph hands on the way....have for a month now. New clutch and winding pinion. And a clean and oil. Will probably set me back some but it is worth it to me.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

Re: AT & JE Meylan Lemania CH27

Brilliant! What a splendid watch.

I love stories like these!

check cousinsuk.com for spare parts
    Omega the sign of Excellence since 1848. Jaeger Le Coultre Horlogerie de Luxe depuis 1833
    22 times Olympic games timekeeper, Nasa watch supplier and holder of several world records of precision, Omega has the world's trust
    Omega and Rolex for ever
    Eterna Nothing but Watchmaking since 1856
    Zenith Swiss Watchmaking and Chronometry champion since 1865

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Well Cousins is a wash out on the parts . Have an email off to scotchwatch. The watch is at the watchmakers right now. Chrono hands still on the way.....for forever. Found the winding pinion and clutch wheel in FL as used parts but looking to see if I can get new first. Winding stem still inbound from Germany.

Watchmaker liked it and wanted to know if I wanted to just sell it to him as is....nope.

Now I have to find an appropriate tap 9 crown.....
    georges zaslavsky likes this.

Anyone know what style the hands are called?

Quote Originally Posted by thoth View Post
    Anyone know what style the hands are called?
    I have seen them called "diamond", but I don't know if that's standard.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

I will look into "Diamond" hands. Thanks.

Just got the winding parts ordered. Blake came through on these for a good price. The ones on ebay are but wanting over $100 each. The used ones were way less but Blake got them for less than that.

Found this.....

Name:  qqq6620c.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  57.1 KB

I would love the list or net price for this thing all day long when they were new......Which adjusted for inflation would be $450 or $563....for a new hand wound Swiss made 2 register chronograph.

The 12 hour version sold for $52 for a "Waterproof" case or $47 for a non waterproof.

The interesting thing is the mention of "fitted in a stainless, silver-like metal case which retains it's high luster (non-tarnishable)." That would indicate a chromed case? But the 12hr version for a waterproof says "fitted in a stainless steel watherproof case." So it seems that there is an error in the Ad because the 2 waterproof ones have the same case. Or they switched to all stainless on these at some point.

Thread Information