Jim Clark & Motor Racing Watches of the 60's & 70's
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: Jim Clark & Motor Racing Watches of the 60's & 70's

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Jim Clark & Motor Racing Watches of the 60's & 70's

Iv'e always been an admirer of Jim Clark, one of the greatest drivers of all time. Clark was apparently an enthusiastic watch collector and I have recently
    managed to acquire a couple of models associated with him. I would imagine that he owned many brands but in 1965 he was sponsored by Gallet.
    Gallet are the worlds oldest clock and watch manufacturer and apparently started clock making in 1466
    In 1965 Clark was World champion and Indianapolis 500 winner.
    The watch that he promoted was the Gallet Multichron 12. This triple registered chronograph started life as a military watch but was obviously well suited to sports time keeping.

Mine uses the ' in house ' Excelsior Park ' movement and I think it dates from the late 50's / early 60's

In 1967 'Gentleman Jim' appears to have been sponsored by Enicar for the Singapore Grand Prix and they must have blown their budget on this fabulous ad.

Enicar was, and still is generally an unknown quantity in the UK . They are a Swiss manufacturer using quality Swiss movements. They seem to have majored in the Asian and Far Eastern markets with quite an unusually diverse offering ranging from ' everyday ' and evening wear models to beautiful and prestigious sports chrono's . They sponsored arctic and severe weather expeditions as testimony to their construction and durability.
    Many of their top end models are named Sherpa's

Look at crazyfist's informative Enicar link for more info.

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f11/joy...es-726015.html

Mine is a Sherpa Graph 300 with Valjoux 72 engine

Lets see your 60's and 70 's watches with Motor racing connections !!
    JP71624, dougcee, H.H.Sinn and 6 others like this.

Re: Jim Clark & Motor Racing Watches of the 60's & 70's

GREAT thread
    Great Post
    One day I may own one
    And welcome
    Great entrance
    Adam
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Great post. I previously used Jim's image as my avatar. My favorite driver of all time.
    Quote Originally Posted by kazrich View Post
    Iv'e always been an admirer of Jim Clark, one of the greatest drivers of all time. Clark was apparently an enthusiastic watch collector and I have recently
    managed to acquire a couple of models associated with him. I would imagine that he owned many brands but in 1965 he was sponsored by Gallet.
    Gallet are the worlds oldest clock and watch manufacturer and apparently started clock making in 1466
    In 1965 Clark was World champion and Indianapolis 500 winner.
    The watch that he promoted was the Gallet Multichron 12. This triple registered chronograph started life as a military watch but was obviously well suited to sports time keeping.

Mine uses the ' in house ' Excelsior Park ' movement and I think it dates from the late 50's / early 60's

In 1967 'Gentleman Jim' appears to have been sponsored by Enicar for the Singapore Grand Prix and they must have blown their budget on this fabulous ad.

Enicar was, and still is generally an unknown quantity in the UK . They are a Swiss manufacturer using quality Swiss movements. They seem to have majored in the Asian and Far Eastern markets with quite an unusually diverse offering ranging from ' everyday ' and evening wear models to beautiful and prestigious sports chrono's . They sponsored arctic and severe weather expeditions as testimony to their construction and durability.
    Many of their top end models are named Sherpa's

Look at crazyfist's informative Enicar link for more info.

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f11/joy...es-726015.html

Mine is a Sherpa Graph 300 with Valjoux 72 engine

Lets see your 60's and 70 's watches with Motor racing connections !!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Very nice watches...especially the "Jim Clark"
    So many watches.....so little time.....

Many thanks for the welcome .
    Looks like some people take watches with a racing connection very very seriously. Take a look
    at this Heuer leather racing strap ( without the watch !! )

NEW OLD STOCK vintage Heuer Black corfam strap with Heuer SunBuckle

Richard

That's insane!

well, general consensus is that Jim Clark wore a Breitling Top Time ref. 810 in the pictures you posted, a B&W version of the pic was said to be used in Breitling advertising, though I found no proof of this - here's a Automobiliac article:Musings about cars, design, history and culture - Automobiliac - Jim Clark and his Breitling Top.Time

I am not totally convinced it is a Breitling ref. 810, it could also be a ref. 765, which has slightly larger subdials, a version of the 765 AVI below existed without the 12h bezel, same lug design as the ref. 810

What the watch pictured - for me - clearly isn't is an Enicar Sherpa Graph, lug form is way different.

here are my Jim Clarks (or not?):

810 Top Time, 1964, 1965

824 Top Time, 1968; a 24h version w/ slightly larger subdials

765 Co-Pilot AVI, 1963

Sherpa Graph

Gallet Multichron12 "Jim Clark"

Thanks for that info WatchFred . First of all congratulations on an awsome collection of watches !
    Like you, I thought that the Sherpa Graph lugs were the wrong shape and looked too heavy. I was
    per chance wearing mine at the same time that I was looking at this enlarged image on the screen.
    Being able to take the watch to the monitor and holding it at the precise angle as shown in the picture
    I quickly changed my mind. At the pictured angle the lugs look identical. The height of the crystal , the beveled case
    beneath the crystal and the case depth beneath look the same. The size of the 3 Enicar sub dials also look to be in exactly
    the same proportions.
    You need of course to have the Sherpa in your hand to see the likeness. Try it and tell me what you think.
    I also seem to remember reading that this image was taken in 1967 ( possibly at the Mexican Grand Prix ).
    I do know that Enicar sponsored Clark at the 1967 Singapore Grand Prix , but maybe not the whole season ?
    I would only be convinced that the watch in the picture was a Breitling if I could see the very same image in a contemporary
    advert with Clark endorsing it . The quality of the image makes it difficult to be 100 % sure either way.

I see you also have a Gallet Multichron 12. Does yours use the Excelsior Park movement ? If it does do you not agree
    that it's a musical sounding machine, sometimes registering 2 distinct and complimentary ticking sounds . I can't always hear both sounds
    so it must be something to do with the complications ( or more than likely me going deaf )

Richard

WatchFred
    Yout post confuses me
    Are you implying Jim Clark , never wore a Gallet?
    If so Im sure Gallet can prove he did
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by HOROLOGIST007 View Post
    WatchFred
    Yout post confuses me
    Are you implying Jim Clark , never wore a Gallet?
    If so Im sure Gallet can prove he did
    sorry if my post seems confusing, Adam; but the available info from Gallet is based on the following letter:

So we have an undated letter from a Mr. Carlini describing a watch that seems to be a black dial Multichron 12 - we have no pictures of Jim Clark wearing the watch, "endorsing" Gallet, no period advertising, no news clippings - we do not know for how long Jim Clark wore it, hell, not even if it was an EP40 or an R72.

So if Gallet has more info about this, I'd be very happy indeed !
    DragonDan likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information