JLC Powermatic ??

Thread: JLC Powermatic ??

JLC Powermatic ??

Hi There, I am pretty new to the vintage watch scene but I looking at buying a vintage powermatic. I am not sure if its being tampered with would anyone be able to offer any advice??

Inside, the markings are as follows:
    17 jewels
    Unadjusted LeCoultre
    Swiss 481
    Automatic

Serial number 770475

The inscriptions on the case back are as follows:
    Cased and timed in USA by LeCoultre
    Star Case Watch Company
    10kt gold filled

There are a couple of what I think are service marks: 15061 and RD1525. Doesn't make sense to me though.

Cheers

Omega Forum Moderator emmanuelgoldstein's Avatar

Re: JLC Powermatic ??

Pictures of the watch would help us in identifying if the watch was tampered with. If you have seen a picture of the movement is it similar to this? Are you buying from a private seller, eBay, online vintage dealer, or brick and mortar shop? Look for feedback on the seller to get an idea of previous transactions.
    Last edited by emmanuelgoldstein; November 2nd, 2010 at 13:56.
    “Education is the inculcation of the incomprehensible into the indifferent by the incompetent”

-- John Maynard Keynes

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 884
Size:  10.9 KBName:  1.jpg
Views: 901
Size:  21.7 KB Any idea on appropriate value ??

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Approximate value I have no idea, but I have seen these sell online from $500 - $800. JLC built the first Powermatic movement in 1948 (Cal. 481). It is hammer winding in one direction with Glucydur screw balance, Nivarox hairspring and JLC shock resist. The Powermatic is notable as the first available production wristwatch with up/down indication (power reserve). The watch looks authentic from what I can see, but the movement shot is a bit to small for me to really see.
    “Education is the inculcation of the incomprehensible into the indifferent by the incompetent”

-- John Maynard Keynes

Smile Re: JLC Powermatic ??

Cool, thanks for your help

Looked at the movement a little more, it certainly looks like a 481. There should be an import code VXN stamped on the movement.

-- John Maynard Keynes

Banned

First thing you should know is that's a LeCoultre, not a Jaeger LeCoultre. JLC and Vacheron Constantin partnered with Longines & Wittnauer to make LeCoultre watches. The movements came from Switzerland to New York and were installed into American made cases. This arrangement saved on import fees (precious metals were heavily taxed). EG is correct that there should be a VXN stamped on the movement.

Second thing - you can look up what similar watches have sold for using this tutorial: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f295/ho...ch-436469.html.

Third thing - that's a pretty nice watch.

Thread Information