JOEL INCABLOC selfwinding swiss watch HELP

Thread: JOEL INCABLOC selfwinding swiss watch HELP

JOEL INCABLOC selfwinding swiss watch HELP

I have this swiss watch, JOEL INCABLOC Selfwinding, I can not find any information on this watch and would like to know if anyone does have any useful information about it. Inside the back case says PROVIS WATCH Co. Swiss. The movement says Joel Watch Co. 17 Jewels. I have attached 2 pictures.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: JOEL INCABLOC selfwinding swiss watch HELP

ooo . .a bumper automatic with a two-tone dial ... nice!

I don't see a matching movement on Ranfft's site. Is there a symbol under the balance wheel?
    Last edited by bjohnson; January 11th, 2010 at 22:44.

Looks like an S or a 5, kind of looks like a combination of both. That is all I can really see. On the part that holds the wheel there is JXL on the end.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Found the movement in Bestfit as a Felsa 279

The symbol for Felsa is an "F" inside a clover shaped symbol
    Last edited by bjohnson; January 11th, 2010 at 23:15.

I'm not sure what you are talking about. I'm new to this site and do not know too much about watches but I know a little. So I don't really understand what Bestfit and Felsa 279 is.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlieuk8 View Post
    I'm not sure what you are talking about. I'm new to this site and do not know too much about watches but I know a little. So I don't really understand what Bestfit and Felsa 279 is.
    Bestfit is a company that sold (I'm not sure if they're still around) watch parts and created a part numbering system for ordering. They also created several reference books for identifying movements and ordering parts for them. The most common are the "Bestfit Encylopedias" which are two books covering most of the Swiss movements made from the early 1900s to about 1979 (depending on which revision you buy). A lot of people refer to these books as "Bestfit" as a short form.

Felsa was a movement manufacturer who sold movements to other companies for their watches.

Watch movements are identified by their manufacturer by a calibre name. Usually numeric but a alphanumeric combination is not uncommon.

This movement looks to be a 379 calibre made by Felsa. It is a bumper automatic. That is an automatic winding system that winds the watch b the movements of your arm. A bumper because it bounces off the springs at the two ends of the arc (ie the rotor doesn't rotate freely in a full circle)

Bumper automatics were an early form of automatic that was replaced decades ago by the more "efficient" (ie winds more with less movement) centre mounted, bidirectional automatic winding systems (commonly seen today). It's one way to date your watch as a 1940s or 1950s watch. bumpers were mostly unused in new watches by the 1960s.

Oddly, the US import code is JXL which should be 'Le Phare SA, Sultana SA' (Sultana Watch Co.) whereas Provis is given as FXE here - http://www.ranfft.de/uhr/info-uscode.html

Anyway, Provis (which I know nothing about) was probably a US company which imported Swiss watches.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

I'm not really a watch collector and I am thinking about selling the watches I posted on here, the Nisus, Joel, and this Opus, to someone that does collect vintage watches or want value the watch more than I would. Any idea the value of this watch?

We do not give valuations in this forum for reasons given in our sticky notes at the top of the forum.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Sorry about that. Do you know where I could get an evaluation about my watches? thanks

Thread Information