john harrison
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: john harrison

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

john harrison

ive noticed on alot of furms where peopls discus the best, important, significant or favorite watch makers that no one ever seems to pic john harrison . im a big JH admirer and think that his contribution to chronometers is vastly significant and important . and helped solved a problem we just take for granted now . i mean i have a few watches my favs my citizen skyhawk that is real accurate and i also brought my dad a cheap watch of fleabay that is just as accurate . its hard to think at one time you could not find that, and clever people such as isaac newton said it was impossible to make a accurate timekeeper.

no sarcasm or derogatory comments pls
    Last edited by jayrob84; September 3rd, 2012 at 03:39.

Re: john harrison

Yes we have heard of him and this sort of thing is best discussed in the Vintage forum.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Banned

J. Harrison is one of th most important Englishman ever born. Without his inventions the world would not look like it does today.
    the problem discussing him is that he lived such a long time go, and none of us owns a timepiece by him!
    Last edited by Janne; September 3rd, 2012 at 03:43.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

lol be pretty cool if some one did . like the h6 lol

Banned

Museum pieces. I am not sure if all of them sill exist and are accounted for?

Plenty of John Harrisons exist although not THE Harrison. My Harrison which is really a Swiss resale through a good Liverpool lever HARRISON watchmaker after 1800 was not very much appreciated.

.Name:  copy mvt..jpg
Views: 3944
Size:  352.9 KBName:  P1000943a.jpg
Views: 1298
Size:  190.1 KBName:  IMG_9523ax.jpg
Views: 1428
Size:  346.1 KB
    jayrob84 likes this.

Harrison's main contribution to horology is, in my opinion, not his timepieces as they were technological dead ends, but his demonstration with H1 and H4 that highly accurate timekeepers with very low consistent daily rates can be used to precisely determine the longitude. H4 is probably the most accurate verge fusee watch ever made. When I say that they were technological dead ends I mean they were not the wave of the future as the marine chronometer using the detent escapement of LeRoy, Berthold, Arnold and Earnshaw became the standard for navigation until the quartz movement replaced them. Dana Sobel's book on Harrison is a good read.

yer ive read a book on john harrison and horology but funny enough ive never read dana sobels longitude lol. i have recently ordered it though

I am John Harrison... on Facebook at least
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

John Harrison was the man.

A carpenter to trade, he started in horology by building wooden clocks with wooden wheels...
    yet they kept time to within a few secs a year.
    jayrob84 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information