For Johnny Monkey - The Saddest Tissot?
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: For Johnny Monkey - The Saddest Tissot?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

For Johnny Monkey - The Saddest Tissot?

Thought for some crazy reason you might like to take a look at the other side of the fence. A box of lemels and sweeps just came in. 3 boxes of mixed up drawer junk.

A few good items, including some useful parts movements, a lot of Seiko stuff which is not much use, and this - perhaps the saddest Tissot I've seen.

It was in different boxes, I spent ages sorting through to find the case, in a different box from the movement, which was in a different box from the back. There seem to be some pushers as well. It was harder finding the cock, and it took me almost an hour to find the balance assembly.

I don't know what is up with it, but the movement is a Val. 7733 and seems to be complete. It isn't running, but it actually looks like it would be be salvageable. It may just end up being something to play with - but, I do have a question.

Did this thing have a bezel? And is this possibly it? It looks a little to Seiko to me, although it looks like it might fit, but I can't see how it would mount on the plastic/rubber ring thing.

Now I look again at the photo, it seems unlikely. But, I'll leave the question as asked anyway.

BTW, case looks rusty - but it is stainless and would clean up fine. Dial, well - beyond salvage.

** edit: Bugger it. I've just realised the flyback lever is missing.
    Last edited by trim; May 10th, 2011 at 01:00.

Re: For Johnny Monkey - The Saddest Tissot?

Interesting find, and with the rarer blue dial......altho that one is rather fubared!!

This is what it should look like, altho mine has the metal bezel, and yours the later (I think?) plastic bezel, which has just worn down......I've yet to see a good one!!

I can actually match you on that 'sad' watch tho, as someone gave me this a few years back.....

The movement on mine, a 7734, looks ok, but it's completely missing the bezel, and my watchguy took a quick look and reckons it's missing an inner bezel too!! I actually acquired a new dial for it, altho it was a later printed dial, not the version like yours and mine with the sunken subdials that I prefer.

I keep my eyes open for a bezel, but don't expect to find one, so not sure what I'll do with mine?!!

Now.........if you want to see a very sad Tissot......have a look at this!!

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f62/hel...ck-532823.html

Ah I get it. The rubber/plastic thing I thought might have been a mount for the bezel, was once the bezel itself.

Fubar'd is an understatement.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by trim View Post
    Ah I get it. The rubber/plastic thing I thought might have been a mount for the bezel, was once the bezel itself.

Fubar'd is an understatement.

Have a trawl thru the 'bay' and there's several 'plastic bezel' versions on there, all with the bezel completely shot, but still being sold for good money

I don't know whether I can get my dial 'refinished' but it's not a priority at the mo!!

What did you think of the 'exhibition back' model then???

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyMonkey View Post
    I don't know whether I can get my dial 'refinished' but it's not a priority at the mo!!
    I doubt this would refinish well.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyMonkey View Post
    What did you think of the 'exhibition back' model then???
    Unfortunately I can't see his photos.... maybe deleted.

I've been looking at ebay - didn't see any like this one, perhaps I'll look again. Did see generic cases and dial sets and lots of generic/off brand dials. I also found the twin of yours
    Last edited by trim; May 10th, 2011 at 02:58.

Hi JohnnyMonkey,

does the hook under

SE/^TAI
    N v'C/~)D

confirm the correct signature?
    And if yes, for what country?

Regards, Roland Ranfft

Quote Originally Posted by Roland Ranfft View Post
    Hi JohnnyMonkey,

does the hook under

SE/^TAI
    N v'C/~)D

confirm the correct signature?
    And if yes, for what country?

Regards, Roland Ranfft

Hi Roland

Not sure what you mean by 'for what country' ? but it is/was signed SEASTAR NAVIGATOR there.

I've got two good condition versions of this, with one signed Seastar Navigator, and the other just Seastar. I don't know exactly why Tissot did this, as they are identical watches, but did hear somewhere it was something to do with marketing for different watch markets around the world, but don't know how true this is??

Those look well worn, wouldn't know were to start or if I could be bothered lol good luck.

Hey Joe,

Maybe , maybe not. Depends on what there is to be learnt from the exercise. Sometimes one thinks 'restoration project' whereas what one should really be thinking 'movement donor'.

In this case, the movement has intrinsic value, and that seems to be the best bit. I in all honesty have made no decision yet.

K.

Quote Originally Posted by trim View Post
    Unfortunately I can't see his photos.... maybe deleted.

I've been looking at ebay - didn't see any like this one, perhaps I'll look again. Did see generic cases and dial sets and lots of generic/off brand dials. I also found the twin of yours

The pictures are down.....shame!!

It was a gold plated 70's Seastar, where the centre of the dial, just inside the hour batons had been crudely cut out, leaving a rough edge, so you could see the mov't from the front, in an attempt to make it look like a skeleton watch (of sorts).

It also had a kind of coin edge see thru back bodged onto it which looked awfull too!!

The guy was really interested in it and wanted to know how much they go for etc etc...................until I told him it wasn't, erm, very good!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information