The Joy of Collecting Vintage Enicar Watches - Page 94
Like Tree2570Likes

Thread: The Joy of Collecting Vintage Enicar Watches

Page 94 of 204 FirstFirst ... 44 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 144 194 ... LastLast
    Ard

Re: The Joy of Collecting Vintage Enicar Watches

I finally received a strap for my Enicar today! Actually I got 2 but stopped with this black buffalo grain and enjoyed wearing the watch for the first time. The second strap is a crocodile grain Hadley Roma in dark navy blue, I was hoping it would complement the blue date numbers and the date hand, time will tell.

I've had the watch in the winder while waiting for a strap (rubber band held it fine) and after 6 hours of wear it was obvious the watch was considerably slow. This meant opening for some advancement and offered a good opportunity to show you the case back and movement.

I expect it will take a couple days of constant wear and more adjusting but I'm hoping for decent accuracy from this watch. I really like it, I've been wearing dive watches for the past 2 years and this weightless watch is a joy to wear!

Ard

Name:  IMG-20150322-WA0015.jpeg
Views: 510
Size:  446.7 KB
    1966 pretty good condition Sherpa guide.
    This LG is haunted.. I'm having all sorts of problems downloading.
    Today they're upside down on the upload..
    Last edited by Stigmata; June 5th, 2015 at 11:35.
    vandervenus, Ard and Space Noodle like this.

Quote Originally Posted by DaBaeker View Post
    Thanks. That is a very nice diver you have. Its so funny to me...For years I've seen this never-ending thread pop up and every time I did I thought, "how quaint. Those guys much sure be a quirky and fanatical bunch"... to focus so much on , what I then thought, was a low rent and odd Swiss brand. I really had no idea about the company. But I always liked the total of the thread. Such pure enthusiasm. And now, after 30yrs of collecting I stumbled upon the Sherpa Guide 600 GMT. Mine is by no means even close to a pristine example but its beefiness and GMT function attracted me as I have a few GMTs. Now I find myself one of those 'quirky' guys and have started reading up on the history of the co. and where most where sold and so on a so forth. And as for placement in the mass-market swiss luxury watch biz? Maybe Enicar doesn't rank as high as some other well known brands but it certainly is not a 'low-rent' company and many models hold their own very nicely when compared to Eterna, certain older Seikos, and maybe a few Omega and Longines. (I won't argue this point as I am still learning. My collecting has recently taken of in 3 entirely new directions: a) early 70s 'heq' quartz,
    b)Eterna-matics from the 50s and c) these two Enicars. And thats after a good 10yrs of mostly Omega, Rolex and Longines w assorted old divers and chronographs mixed in.

So again-thanks for that pic as at least I now know the the hand-set on my 'date' exist in the same combo on another Enicar. Any idea what the difference in the 300 and 600 cases were (other then the obvious depth) Are Sherpa date 600s common? And are the 600s all the super-compressor type of closure?

I don't know where this 'date' will take me next but thanks for the pic and the info. good luck
    The funny thing is that I've been collecting Enicar watches for only a year. This very thread got me excited. It was about 60 pages long, if I remember correctly. I bought a very simple Star Jewels back than, not knowing anything about the brand at all. But I was fascinated by the logo and the beautiful colorful dials. When searching for more information, I ended up here.

Meanwhile, I'm totally hooked on the brand. I own at least 20 Enicars by now and the collection keeps growing. I always feel connected to the 'underdog' kind of brands: Rega audio, Enicar watches and Apple computers (as you know they used to be the underdog 20 years ago when I started working with computers).

This thread is such a goldmine of information and great watch stories. I'm happy to be part of it.
    kazrich and DaBaeker like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Name:  IMG_20150606_000408.jpg
Views: 526
Size:  2.58 MB
    This is an AR 146 ( red date) if I remember correctly case is a super compressor from 1966 ? ( memory) back of this has the text detail almost gone.. The bezel is a bit faded but cities still easily read. Except the ding between Sydney and Manila.. But still in goodish condition . the watch has the types of hands I love... The crowns are signed but are the mk 3 crowns.. These have no crosshatch pattern.
    Last edited by Stigmata; June 6th, 2015 at 07:26.

Ard

Hi,

Does anyone know where one of these can be purchased?

I keep telling myself I don't need another watch but this watch is different. At least it has a fresh look to me and I would wear that. They are on the Enicar website and are a 39mm watch.

Pretty sharp..........
    Space Noodle likes this.

China.

\
    Quote Originally Posted by Ard View Post
    Hi,

I keep telling myself I don't need another watch but this watch is different. At least it has a fresh look to me and I would wear that. They are on the Enicar website and are a 39mm watch.

Pretty sharp..........

Quote Originally Posted by Ard View Post
    Hi,

Pretty sharp..........
    This is the first of the new Enicars that I like since a Chinese company bought the rights of the Enicar brand a couple of years ago. It has some nice details that pay tribute to the Enicars of the sixties and seventies: the caselugs, the colors in the bezel. Very nice! I'm very curious how this watch feels on the wrist. Older Enicars are heavy, chunky and exactly the way I like it. These newer models feel lightweighted, almost like plastic. I don't know if and where they are sold outside of China and Japan.

Do you know what kind of movement is inside?
    Last edited by vandervenus; June 6th, 2015 at 15:37.

Ard

No, I don't have a clue of what's inside the watch. I was hoping they were still a Swiss product but when reading the use of language in the website text it seemed the source didn't have a good understanding of English.

I guess we should all give thanks to 'crazyfist' whomever and wherever that is. I can't recall another thread quite like this one.
    Kind of like a one-stop grand special Enicar central hub. A forum within a forum. It definitely would not be the same as a stand alone forum. It's part of the WUS vintage personality.
    Last edited by DaBaeker; June 7th, 2015 at 05:59.
    vandervenus, Ard and Stigmata like this.
    :ROLEX OMEGA LONGiNES ♦ SEIKO Aquadive ♦ ELGIN ♦ hamilton O&W imexZodiac......

so-excited to post on this 'joyous' oddball thread. Received my <$75 gamble today as expected. And as expected it was a mess physically. But that is the extent of my skills however-I do a decent job. In fact-I can't believe how damn fine looking this Sherpa date really is. Males me wonder why I didn't notice the brand before.

Anyhow-my chief interest is finding out what anyone knows about a plain non-diver Sherpa date with only 1 crown being ion the 600 compressor case. I did take off the back and photographed the diver helmut case-back and movement-but they got erased by accident. I'll post enough pics to satisfy the Enicar fans here but I will just post the ref #s since the serial is too hard to photograph in my available light.

I have not been able to find a single other example that is a plain Sherpa Date that is in the 600 sea pearl case. All the pics and models I can find are either Sherpa Guide GMT or Divette, Jet or asst. other 2-crown inner bezel models. Its not that I think mine is rare or so unusual-I'd just like to confirm with another image. It would be hard to believe that a watch from an estate sale thats been bored and stored for over 30 years is some kind of franken. [also-the case-back gasket is melted into gunk -which I've encountered before-and I have still to deal with that. Luckily it is contained to the outermost groove and hasn't got beyond the outer movement ring and compressor tangs. But I've seen this with old and original Omega gaskets. Still-i'm wondering why a sherpa 600 would not at least be branded as a dive watch.

Shoot-I wish I wasn't so tired to remove back again and post movement pic. But here's whats on the back:

a)Enicar-SS-ultrasonic-incabloc-sherpa 600. brevet:314962 and oyster logo.

b)serial# 1067804

c)model #: 144-33-01 [4]- funny looking-not exactly same font

d)Seapearl with a '0' under the'e' and 'a'.

e) crown: signed with saturn logo

pics:

so... any thoughts about this in terms of 100% original/authentic, or anything not good i am unaware of?
    Last edited by DaBaeker; June 9th, 2015 at 04:33.
    Stigmata likes this.
    :ROLEX OMEGA LONGiNES ♦ SEIKO Aquadive ♦ ELGIN ♦ hamilton O&W imexZodiac......

Thread Information