Junghans 1936 Berlin Olympics Pocket Watch

Thread: Junghans 1936 Berlin Olympics Pocket Watch

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Junghans 1936 Berlin Olympics Pocket Watch

Hi Guys,

I am new to this forum so hello to eveyone....I was hoping I could get some advise from people on here as I have recently been given a Junghans Pocket Watch from my Grandfather who was at the Olympic games in Berlin in 1936 as a little boy. He kept it locked up for all these years and found it recently and gave it to me.

I am amazed because it still works....I was hoping that you guys could help me verify that it is genuine and that maybe a value could be assigned to it..... I include some photos:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Junghans 1936 Berlin Olympics Pocket Watch

Aplogies first photo didnt come out well. Here we go:
    Attached Images Attached Images

nowhere, yet...everywhere. I am omnipresent!

Although as per forum rules valuations are not allowed, I would venture to say that if genuine it would be quite valuable. Quite valuable indeed to collectors of several kinds.

(I'm no expert, just my opinion)

Nice watch though :D

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

We don't do valuations here. Please read our sticky notes for reasons why.
    It's also impossible for us to verify the authenticity so I guess you'll have to rely on your grandfather's story for verification. It looks a bit more genuine to me than some of the Ukrainian and Bulgarian Frankenwatches we see here. I'd like to see photos of the movement though.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Ok thanks - i didnt realise that it was policy not to provide valuations.

I would like to get its authenticity checked and it valued. Do you know where i could get one done!? also how would I open the back to check the movement?! Is it a simple process? I dont want to break it!

From our Links and Articles sub-forum:
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=158603
    If you are all uncertain about opening the case, do not attempt it. We don't want you to break anything either. It looks as if the back will screw off in this particular model, but if you are not sure, take it to a watchmaker. A watchmaker could evaluate the movement at least. If you plan to run it, it's always best to get it cleaned and lubricated.
    Generally these types of watches are not that valuable as timepieces - if genuine it may be of interest because of its Olympic heritage. You could check eBay for similar models but be warned there is a lot of Third Reich fakery out there.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

As far as case is conserned,I would say that this is not authentic watch.

Se the insignia on the photo for comparison please:

If necessary,I'll put some photos of the items that were officialy approved by "Deutscher Olympischer Ausschuss Berlin-Charlotenburg" or I.O.C. for comparison.

The watch on the first sight looks like from that period,but those engravings are not.
    “Thoughts are the shadows of our feelings - always darker, emptier and simpler.”

Friedrich Nietzsche

http://www.portalsatova.com/forum/

Hi -

If you search on the forum, you'll see that this is not the first time this kind of watch has shown up.

They're usually a tad more obvious than this one, but there is one huge glaring discrepancy which makes this highly dubious: the Olympic rings are wrong. They are supposed to overlap, not be touching each other only on the edge. This is a deliberate design element to show how sports interconnects all five continents, and that it matters not where you come from or who you are, but rather that you're a sportsman or sportswoman competing with everyone else.

If it indeed dates from that time period, it is not official but rather an after-market, non-official watch that cannot be verified as actually dating from this time period.

Looking at the dial, this is a brass blank that was engraved and then lacquered. It is relatively poorly done: the minute markings, for instance, are very broad and lack the usual extension every five minutes: the engraving looks, as well, to be a laser engraving at that, which certainly didn't exist in 1936.

The likelihood of it being official or even "real" is relatively small, since the insignia of the party is centered on the six, defacing it. Given the totalitarian nature of that regime, and the use of the swastika as a totem, as it were, defacing the swastika this way would have earned the maker a visit from the at least: they were highly intolerant of this use of the party/state symbol.

We'd need to see a picture of the movement to be sure, but I can't see any way to giving this any sort of legitimacy. Sorry!

JohnF
    コスト下げ やる気も一緒に 下げられる

For sure it's a fake as it says "Ales für Deutschland" and the correct spelling is "Alles"!
    As well the Olympic rings are wrong and all the rest looks is a mix of styles.

Cheers,

Axel

Hi -

Your eyes are better than mine, didn't even see that. You're right, of course...

JohnF
    コスト下げ やる気も一緒に 下げられる

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information