• 2 Post By Shum
  • 1 Post By Border-Reiver
  • 1 Post By Border-Reiver
  • 1 Post By Giotime
  • 2 Post By Shum
  • 2 Post By Giotime

Thread: Junghans Quartz

Junghans Quartz

I would assume this from 1980 based on case back number. I can see 4 jewels. Another similar listing said this cal had 6 jewels. Does anyone know proper jewel count or can comment on general quality of Junghans Quartz watches during this period? Runs great. Nice stainless case. Fairly attractive. From Romania. Shipping cost more than watch.
    Attached Images Attached Images

busmatt, Shum and Wibbs like this.

Re: Junghans Quartz

The M.A.N. on the back means 'Maschinenfabrik Augsburg-Nürnberg', a large company founded in 1758, which now has its seat in Munich. Their main business is vehicles and machinery. The watch was most likely a gift for customers or representatives or whatever.

'Shipping was more than the watch', that is something not too unusual for a vintage Junghans quartz.

Junghans made very reliable watches, mostly for the mass market and they can be seen in Germany, Europe (and the world) like the Timex watches in the USA and elsewhere.

Junghans (residing in the black forest) was a one stage the largest watch (and clock) producer in the world, that simply means on ocean of watches and clocks floating around. Despite some difficulties, Junghans has survived and celebrated its 150th birthday in 2011. Their latest quartz- and mechanical (automatic) wrist watches are upper quality and can be rather expensive with prices far over 1000 Euros.

Junghans came out with the first radio controlled wrist watch in the world and a model Mega1 in good condition is hard to get and much sought after by collectors. If you take the largest producers of radio controlled quartz watches, they come pricewise in the order Casio - Citizen and Junghans at the higher end.

And when it comes to precision, don't forget you have a quartz watch, which should more or less run as well as any other or stop.

A Junghans watch (mechanical from the 1950s) is number 1 in my watch collection (box number one, compartment one). It's was grandfathers watch, also later worn by my mother. It had a complete service and got a new balance staff recently and shows absolutely perfect readings on the time scale. Parts for most Junghans watches are still easily available, also for vintage watches.

I don't know anything about the movement inside. It has the Junghans logo (J in a star) but I can't find any more info.
    Last edited by Border-Reiver; February 25th, 2016 at 09:15.
    busmatt, Giotime and Shum like this.

Thank you B-R, very nice information! I was interested in that MAN on back. Thought it was owners initials.
    busmatt likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

What does the numbers say? It looks a lot like a 633 series quartz movement and these were introduced in 1979 and the lack of a coil guard suggests it's an early model so 1980 sound right. I know that on the earlier 667 model there is a year number stamped on the base plate but only seen when you take the movement apart. And 6 jewels is correct.
    Last edited by Shum; February 25th, 2016 at 13:28.
    busmatt and Giotime like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Shum View Post
    What does the numbers say? It looks a lot like a 633 series quartz movement and these were introduced in 1979 and the lack of a coil guard suggests it's an early model so 1980 sound right. I know that on the earlier 667 model there is a year number stamped on the base plate but only seen when you take the movement apart. And 6 jewels is correct.
    Oh my! It's 633 and not 688 as I had read it. Yes, then it is as you said, from 1979 onwards and 6 jewels...
    busmatt likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Giotime View Post
    Thank you B-R, very nice information! I was interested in that MAN on back. Thought it was owners initials.
    If you want a more modern and new version, you can get one from the M.A.N. shop:

https://man.logwin-logistics.com/de/...g/Accessoires/
    busmatt likes this.

Thanks again all. Sorry I neglected to mention that it is 63300. Good job figuring that out. Even under magnification I thought at first it was 688.
    busmatt likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Giotime View Post
    Thanks again all. Sorry I neglected to mention that it is 63300. Good job figuring that out. Even under magnification I thought at first it was 688.
    The 00 means that it's the first bog standard version of the 633. It came with a wider base plate and then was called the 633.60 or 633.61 with date. There are probably more versions but there isn't that much information about these second and third generation movements from Junghans.

I have mostly been a bit unlucky with Junghans watches as even when they are stainless steel models they have rust issues. German steel back in the day just wasn't as good as Swedish steel.

It's misleading to say that though as Junghans watches could have been popular with specific groups of wearers and who knows Junghans might have been popular with water sport people and salt water isn't as kind as rain water.
    Last edited by Shum; February 25th, 2016 at 15:13.
    Border-Reiver and busmatt like this.

Yea good information, Shum. I like this watch. It does feel solid and it is much more attractive than it looks in my picture. And as part of my collection I enjoy having an eclectic mix of pieces from different countries, especially when I get them at minimal cost. BTW, thanks to your input, a while back I got my first Certina, a Bristol 228. So nice! Almost NOS. One of my favorites. Did pay up a bit for it though.
    busmatt and Shum like this.

When I first found a big Junghans quartz watch I first thought it was from the late 80's as they have a more modern look and as you say they feel solid.

Thread Information