Just acquired an old Elgin pocket watch owned by my Great Grandfather

Thread: Just acquired an old Elgin pocket watch owned by my Great Grandfather

Just acquired an old Elgin pocket watch owned by my Great Grandfather

It still works too! Unfortunately, you can see the hour hand is missing along with the crystal. There are no markings on the back as well, just what you see on the face.

Can someone give me some information about this watch? Because it belonged to my Great Grandfather, I would like to have this watch restored. I'm sure the movement could use some TLC along with getting a new crystal and some new hands. Think this is possible?

Here are some pictures:

edit: Also, here are pictures of the Timex my Grandfather wore when he got back from serving in WWII. My Grandmother gave this to me when he passed away in 2005. I plan on having this watch serviced and cleaned soon, and I'll probably get a nice black leather band for it.

Last edited by Thaddy; February 22nd, 2009 at 21:44.

Re: Just acquired an old Elgin pocket watch owned by my Great Grandfather

Getting the watch serviced by an experienced watchmaker isn't a problem. Finding another hand and crystal might be a bit harder, but certainly not impossible.
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

I'm going to take both to a local family owned jeweler that has a watchmaker working on-site. I'm worried that the Elgin might be beyond repair, but from what I've read they made a TON of them, so hopefully it won't be a problem to source parts.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Information about the Elgin can be had if you get the serial number off the movement.

The last two small numbers at the bottom of the Timex dial look like '76'. That would be the date of manufacture.

Quote Originally Posted by bjohnson View Post
    Information about the Elgin can be had if you get the serial number off the movement.

The last two small numbers at the bottom of the Timex dial look like '76'. That would be the date of manufacture.
    Good eyes! It's '78'. Maybe this was an anniversary gift from my Grandmother.

Give us the serial number off the movement and we'll be in business for an ID. And you're right. Elgin is probably the easiest pocket watch to get fixed.
    Hands and crystal will likely not be a problem. If it's a rather mid grade Elgin it's even easier to get fixed because they made millions of them.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Quote Originally Posted by Ray MacDonald View Post
    Give us the serial number off the movement and we'll be in business for an ID. And you're right. Elgin is probably the easiest pocket watch to get fixed.
    Hands and crystal will likely not be a problem. If it's a rather mid grade Elgin it's even easier to get fixed because they made millions of them.
    The case is one piece of metal and it looks like the only way to get to the movement is to remove the dial. I'm nowhere close to having the know-how to perform this type of surgery, so I'll just update this thread when I have the chance to take it to a shop

Hopefully the parts are readily available, I already have a nice display case lined up for this watch.

Looks to me like a screw back. However if you aren't comfortable take it to a watchmaker.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Quote Originally Posted by Ray MacDonald View Post
    Looks to me like a screw back. However if you aren't comfortable take it to a watchmaker.
    I went back and checked and you're correct, it's a screw back. It's so worn that at first glance the case appeared to be one piece.

Thread Information