just arrived: Tissot Seastar
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By DragonDan

Thread: just arrived: Tissot Seastar

just arrived: Tissot Seastar

I was browsing vintage watches (never a good thing for my wallet), and saw this Tissot seastar. It seemed quite nice: automatic, day/ date and blue! I've a soft spot for blue dials. The watch arrived today in great condition, save for a couple very minor scuffs on the crystal. It seems to be running fine, the fellow says it was serviced about a year ago.

I'm liking the looks of this watch, but have one question: does anyone know how to properly set the day/ date on this automatic Tissot 796? It has a quickset feature that changes both when you roll between 10 and 12, but I can't tell how to set them separately. The day wheel also has two of every indication, so setting it properly will be interesting. I can only feel one position when I pull out the crown, so not sure on that one.

On to the photos!

Movement shot from the seller. Thanks John!
    joeuk likes this.
    Pink Floyd. Dark side of the moon. Side one, track four.
    Gallet Facebook page:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/GalletChronographs/

Re: just arrived: Tissot Seastar

Great looking Tissot, I am sure the crown goes one way to set one and then the other way to set the other.

Quote Originally Posted by joeuk View Post
    Great looking Tissot, I am sure the crown goes one way to set one and then the other way to set the other.
    Some do it that way. The Tissot 796 requires you to set the day by advancing the time 24 hours to change the day (repeat until correct) and then set the date by backing up to 21:00 then advancing to 24:00.

A watch which is running continuously will always have the correct day. But, as we all know, at short months will display an incorrect date. So quicksetting just the date is not uncommon. (Although the 21:00<=>24:00 dance is not really a quickset...)
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks joeuk and eeeb, that was the trick. I did notice I could just advance the date by running through 24 hours, but thought there was an easier way. A quick email to the previous owner confirmed that this is just how it works. So of course the date was about 20 days away from current. In this case, I wind it several days forward and then let it sit for a half-hour or so before proceeding. It seems to me this is easier on the watch than spinning it through a month in just a few minutes.

It seems to be keeping really good time, which is always a plus!

**edit. The day is adjusted by turing the crown anti-clockwise between 10 and 12. Date is adjusted by running through 24 hours. Hopefully this thread helps someone else with this same movement and question!
    Last edited by DragonDan; November 27th, 2012 at 19:45.
    Pink Floyd. Dark side of the moon. Side one, track four.
    Gallet Facebook page:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/GalletChronographs/

Good to know you have sorted it out, thats the only problem with day and date movements a bit of a pain if you dont wear it all the time. But these Tissots just run great so good to have in your collection.

Thread Information