Just back from the flea market

Thread: Just back from the flea market

Just back from the flea market

Was having a look around a flea market in Lausanne this morning.

Came across an old guy with a box full of old watches. Mostly unusable rubbish, but somewhere in the bottom of the pile were these two.

First one is a 1970s (I think) Longines automatic. Very classic looking and obviously well looked after.

Serial number on the back is 17 642xxx.
    Runs well and keeping perfect time so far.

The second one is a mess. Obviously been around for a while! :)

Looks like an enameled face(?). Inside back dated 1916 or 1918.

Crown very probably not original (too big). Blued hands also look too new and too long. Nice though!

Has a little button just below the crown that needs to be held down to set the time.

Wound it up and it's ticking away quite happily keeping good time (even if the regulator is set on full fast!).

Only 32 mm across.

Love it!

John

Re: Just back from the flea market

Your ID of the Longines is the same one I would make. It looks like a nice piece that was cared for.

The enameled faced watch is something I would date to the 20's. It looks like the movement and dial faired quite well. The hands look stylistically correct but the wear of the case seems advanced when compared to the wear of the movement and face...

I am told wrist watches of this era were often jeweler created from movements and cases they bought separately. Someone may have done something like that to this watch 'recently'.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Interesting watches and thanks for posting.
    The Longines does look like it comes from the 1970s. My serial number list goes up to 15 million in 1969. It would appear that the case serial number is an actual one but you'd have to check the movement to be sure.
    The older watch I'd say has been recased and transformed from a pocket watch to a wristwatch. Again I don't know if the case number is actually a date or not. Might be 1918 as that would make sense from its styling. The movement looks like a Swiss bridge model from 1900 or slightly earlier.
    I would advise a service for both watches if you intend to keep and use them.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the information Eeeb and Ray. I definitely plan to have them both serviced and lubed.

Considering what I paid for them, I suppose it will be worth it.
    John

Thread Information