Just a bit curious about an old handwind

Thread: Just a bit curious about an old handwind

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Banned

Just a bit curious about an old handwind

I'm sure this watch is worth next to nothing as the case feels like it is plastic. The rear case says aluminum on it as well. The watch does not stay running, but it will tick for a few minutes at a time, which does not suprise me as it has probably been sitting for 20 years. The dial says:

Benson-Electra
    Lifetime Mainspring
    Antimagnetic
    Swiss Made

The movement says:
    Swiss
    Chancellor Watch INC.
    One 1 Jewel
    Unadjusted

I apologize for the quality of the pictures as I do not have a light box.

Re: Just a bit curious about an old handwind

I can't remember when I last saw a one jewel watch... Interesting.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

It's a low quality pin lever (pin pallet) movement. Robust but not very collectible I'm afraid.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Banned

That's what I figured. Looking at the construction of this watch, I figure that it was a cheap "Walmart clearance special" at the time when my grandfather purchased it. He never had anything more expensive than a basic analog Timex. At least I have something to take apart that I can learn more about mechanical movements. I wear an auto everyday and while I understand how they work, I've never just pulled a watch apart.

Quote Originally Posted by Torrid View Post
    That's what I figured. Looking at the construction of this watch, I figure that it was a cheap "Walmart clearance special" at the time when my grandfather purchased it. He never had anything more expensive than a basic analog Timex. At least I have something to take apart that I can learn more about mechanical movements. I wear an auto everyday and while I understand how they work, I've never just pulled a watch apart.
    I'm not too familiar with pin-lever escapement watches but, I'd be careful about taking it apart. You'll want to learn about how to let down the power in the mainspring before you start taking it apart. It's best to do this once the movement is out of the case and you have the correctly sized "let-down" key. You might just want to go the library and check out a book on watchmaking. Henry Fried wrote a great one, as did Donald de Carle, and others. Fried may help you from getting your nerves and/or watch fried. Good luck.

I have a one jewel pin lever movement watch w/speidel bracelet. It had belonged to my grandfather as well. It still works very well and I would never take it apart or otherwise. It meant something for him and more to my grandmother who decided I should have it over my father. It's worth is more than gold.

John

Banned

This one had a Speidel band on it as well. The only reason I opened the case was to see why it kept stopping. I have a pretty beat up Wyler handwind that was my great grandfather's as well and it loses about 30 seconds a day. Not too bad for as long as it's been sitting.

Banned

I pulled this watch back out today and gave it a tap like usual. It would normally run for 30 seconds and stop. The movement had been stuck at full wind and hasn't worked properly in the 10 years it has been in my possession. It would only run about 3 seconds at a time today, so I removed the caseback. The mainspring had completely unwound! I gave it a solid wind and it has been running for the last few hours keeping time within a second of my Seiko. It's not worth servicing, but it is cool to see it working again.

I really like how the hour/minute markers are attatched under
    the crystal rather than on the dial. Its a very unusual feature.

Peace,
    Scott

Banned

I forgot to mention that this also is not a waterproof watch. There is no seal around the case or around the crown, so I had no problem taking it apart.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information