• 15 Post By mkws
  • 1 Post By bubba48
  • 2 Post By Cocas
  • 1 Post By balaton
  • 2 Post By Dan S
  • 1 Post By busmatt

Thread: Just In: Buren and DuBois

Just In: Buren and DuBois

I know it's something of a departure from the usual way I hunt for watches (flea markets), but when the opportunity to have these two has presented itself, I couldn't really resist. Both purchased through my friend and watchmaker in the Netherlands, from his friend, who had them serviced by him.
    That said, both come fully serviced, both running at between 0 and +5 seconds per day.

Let's get to the watches, though. Not sure which one of them is the star of the show, so perhaps I'll leave it to the alphabetical order.

The first one is a 1960s Buren. Steel case with screw-in back, original signed crown. The only real flaw are the marks on the back - sadly, some ape must have worn it on a coarse nylon strap for a long time.
    Name:  6nWl0N5.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  811.6 KB
    Name:  2dt6ich.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  237.3 KB
    Name:  mO6Wwuz.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  1.08 MB

The case design is one of the things that really got me - a very thin bezel, and lugs that don't taper, yet all of it combined results in incredibly sleek and elegant looks.

Inside, calibre 1420 - if you'd mistake it for an ETA 1080 at first glance, I wouldn't blame you. Nevertheless, the 1420 is Buren's own design.
    Name:  Jxs1C6J.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  890.9 KB

The next watch... I'm not quite sure if it's from the 1940s or early 1950s. Mikrolisk lists the DuBois 1785 trademark as registered in 1952, although the company has actually existed since 1785. Besides, it could be a date of re-registering the trademark. Anyway, the design screams 1940s. That dial... Guess it's the reason for which I have decided to forgive this piece the fact that it's chrome-plated (the plating does appear to be of decent quality, though). The pale silver ring with perfectly aged radium lume hour markers and numerals, against that golden background... Guess some would describe the design of it as a "sector dial" (markers dividing the ring formed by two circles into sectors), but I'm not sure if it can be called this way - and frankly, little do I care about if it can or can't.
    Name:  cHmOl63.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  1.10 MB

I have known little to nothing of DuBois before. I did mention it as "obscure" to a fellow collector, a Zenith fan (the word "fan" is really an understatement here). Only then I've learned, that DuBois is obscure...but not to Zenith collectors. Save for making watches of their own, DuBois appears to have been a big-time Zenith retailer, cooperating with them quite closely. So, it's obscure, but not obscure. Or not obscure, but obscure. Got lost in that. Nevertheless, the name might be forgotten by most, but a fair bit of others would recognize it anywhere.

The case back's a screw-down one, which is a good thing, especially now, in the summer heat.
    Name:  MOpqPKu.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  1.56 MB

And here's what powers this one - a FEF 190. Nothing too special, but then again, not bad, nicely finished, and since it can be tuned to run between 0 and +5 - quite damn accurate.
    Name:  Iuyaj8u.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  997.8 KB

And, to wrap things up, just one more shot of the DuBois, catching some late afternoon sun:
    Name:  P0NJ2iG.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  1.08 MB

Guess that in terms of expanding the collection, for quite a while now I'll feel complete
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Re: Just In: Buren and DuBois

Love that DuBois.
    mkws likes this.

Dubois is the world oldest watch factory. Somehow this reputable title overthrows "the world oldest watch manufacturer - VC", and VC just cannot do anything about that.

Congrats on your purchase! Dubois 1785 is a very nice watch. I have a Rectangulaire with movement FEF 130 !
    busmatt and mkws like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Classy. Love both of 'em.
    mkws likes this.

Two very worthy additions to your collection; quite different from each other, to provide variety. And most importantly, the condition is fantastic on both of them, which is irresistible.
    bsshog40 and mkws like this.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

Very stylish, congratulations on your finds

Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    mkws likes this.
    " I can't wear this uniform, without some compromises "
    Chesney Hawkes

"I larf, I Larf, I wee I pants, I make I leg go rusty."
    ​Me

Thanks, guys! The current straps are - of course - temporary. The DuBois will receive what it was likely equipped with when new - tan pigskin.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Thread Information