Just 'found' this!!

Thread: Just 'found' this!!

Just 'found' this!!

I was having a look thru drawers and boxes in the spare room, and came accross this, a Mentor watch, which I'd obviously forgotten I'd got!!

I don't particularly remember where and when I got it, and don't really know anything about the brand.........I like the dial tho, so that probably closed the deal

It doesn't seem to be working at the mo, so think I'll take it to my watchguy next time I'm up there.

One strange thing I do seem to remember about it, is that it has two pushers, altho it's not a chrono, on the opposite side to the crown, and that the watch only works (worked) and the second hand swept, when you pressed one of the pushers in, and stopped when you pushed (one of them) back in!!

It has a, wait for it.........ONE jewel movement, so not quite at the top end of watch movement's!!
    It also looks like it was gold plated at some point.........no idea on age either........40's/50's perhaps??

Anyway, some pics..........

Last edited by JohnnyMonkey; December 2nd, 2010 at 20:51.

Re: Just 'found' this!!

A chronostop - its been a while since we've had one here. I almost bought one of those when I was new to this game, of course that was the point of them. I like the dial alot, it has survived well.

I have to admit that balance wheel 'hack' worries me.

It's cool to see those inexpensive watches. What's wild is that it has the red track that goes up to 20 digits. I wonder what that's for? is the red arrow'd hand a seconds hand or a decimal counter? The mind boggles...
    Pink Floyd. Dark side of the moon. Side one, track four.
    Gallet Facebook page:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/GalletChronographs/

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by DragonDan View Post
    It's cool to see those inexpensive watches. What's wild is that it has the red track that goes up to 20 digits. I wonder what that's for? is the red arrow'd hand a seconds hand or a decimal counter? The mind boggles...
    Good catch, I hadn't noticed that. I bet it is just adding 'colour' though. I await and answer from someone who has a clue...

Quote Originally Posted by trim View Post
    A chronostop - its been a while since we've had one here. I almost bought one of those when I was new to this game, of course that was the point of them. I like the dial alot, it has survived well.

I have to admit that balance wheel 'hack' worries me.

Are you questioning the complexity and obvious quality of my watch movement???????

I'm assuming you've seen of these before then??

As for the dial markings, and the red track round the outside......I too would be interested to know what they're about?!!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyMonkey View Post
    Are you questioning the complexity and obvious quality of my watch movement???????
    Lol. I would surely do no such thing Its the solder blob repair I am thinking about.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyMonkey View Post
    I'm assuming you've seen of these before then??
    Yup. I have a period add for these around somewhere... I'll see if I can find it.

Some adds for you...

Add was from 1948 Popular Mechanics

Add was from 1951 Billboard Mag

A fancy version - with DATE! I think this add was 1952.

Last edited by trim; December 2nd, 2010 at 21:40.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Quote Originally Posted by DragonDan View Post
    The blue track in the centre is a tachymetric scale, the red track on the outside (note that the 10 is not exactly on the 6:00) is a telemetric scale. At sea level, sound normally takes almost exactly three seconds to travel a kilometre so that one minute is near enough 20 kilometres.

Hartmut Richter

Quote Originally Posted by Hartmut Richter View Post
    The blue track in the centre is a tachymetric scale, the red track on the outside (note that the 10 is not exactly on the 6:00) is a telemetric scale. At sea level, sound normally takes almost exactly three seconds to travel a kilometre so that one minute is near enough 20 kilometres.

Hartmut Richter

Ah, interesting....thanks for that

Re: Some adds for you...

Lol. I would surely do no such thing Its the solder blob repair I am thinking about.

Yup. I have a period add for these around somewhere... I'll see if I can find it.

Yeah, I'm not sure what's going on with that?? I'll let my watchguy look at it and see what he says.

Add was from 1948 Popular Mechanics

That's pretty much it, by the looks of it?? Good find

Thread Information