Just found this old thing
Like Tree8Likes
  • 8 Post By Shum

Thread: Just found this old thing

Just found this old thing

Or rather this old Longines went missing 5 months ago just after I got it home so I never got to take a closer look. My old mother has been bitten by the vintage watch bug as well so she likes to go through my boxes and see if she can find anything of interest. Well she did...

Name:  P7288300.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  136.6 KB
    Poor thing has lost much of it's looks but it's got some nice hands. It's got a wonderful case with probably the nicest snap on back I have seen as it's hard to pop off but snaps on like a dream with very little effort.

Name:  P7288305.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  209.8 KB
    I think it's a 12L with a early sweep second conversion and the serial number dates the movement to 1938. It is a small watch (just over 30mm) so I don't think it will be worth that much even if I get it restored but this is my first 1930's Longines as my other 11 are all from the 1940's so for me it's a bit special.

My Longines collection is also special in that I got them all for junk change but I guess I have sucked the local market dry now as I haven't found one since this watch.

It's not in that good working order as it's dirty and has got coloring to some of the bridges and the balance staff it broken but I love it!
    Last edited by Shum; July 28th, 2014 at 02:02.

Re: Just found this old thing

Glad you ran back across it!!
    "Time flies when you're throwing watches."
    What has a man profited, if he gains the whole world yet forfeits his soul? Mt16:26
    IG: @BuyingOnTime

That looks like a very worthy restoration project.

The one thing that worries me , looking at your photos, is that the crown is very very close to the case edge and I would be concerned about the crown rubbing on the case. Apart from that, please do go for it and get a replacement balance staff and put that piece of horological history back into working order where it belongs.

David
    Last edited by DJH584; July 28th, 2014 at 19:11. Reason: Formatting
    Bulova Accutron 218 and two Accusets. Avia Electronic Swissonic. Invicta Electrodyne Swissonic. Timex Electronic.
    Allenby Quartz dress watch from 1999. Timex Goodyear Blimp. Seven - soon to be eight Seiko's of various calibres.
    Casio Wave Ceptor. Luch one hand and Luch Electric. Tchibo (TCM)
    HMT Sona and a Military . Oh and an Accurist Millenium Quartz AND 60 pocketwatches.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

It would be nice to get it back in shape and now after the summer I'm going to start to have some of my watches restored but as this cost a lot of money I must take them one at a time. A few redails are needed and I will try out different companies and see what they can do.

Rarely is a Longines not worth fixing!!
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Yes but the smaller size worries me. I guess it will cost somewhere in the $250 range if not more to fix it and I just don't think if it will sell for that.

I will do it though.

This is the reason I refuse to pay to much for a watch like this as the true cost comes later.
    Last edited by Shum; July 28th, 2014 at 21:58.

Nice watch, I like the crown and hands on this and would be great to see it all back in shape.

Quote Originally Posted by Shum View Post
    Yes but the smaller size worries me. I guess it will cost somewhere in the $250 range if not more to fix it and I just don't think if it will sell for that.

I will do it though.

This is the reason I refuse to pay to much for a watch like this as the true cost comes later.
    I don't remember ever selling a watch so what they sell for means little to me. But you are spot on -- the true cost of ownership is very related to the 'after buying' costs... one of the reasons I collect vintage quartz!
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Quote Originally Posted by Eeeb View Post
    I don't remember ever selling a watch so what they sell for means little to me. But you are spot on -- the true cost of ownership is very related to the 'after buying' costs... one of the reasons I collect vintage quartz!
    I have sold over 300 watches now and only quartz.

It only means I like them a lot but I have slowly learnt to fix up mechanical watches as well and now it's time to sell some of them as well.

Thread Information