Just in.. Full hunter trench watch
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Just in.. Full hunter trench watch

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Just in.. Full hunter trench watch

Got this through a buy it now on the bay for silly money and has gone straight to the top of my limited military collection.

Hallmarked for Glasgow import and the letter V for 1918/19, .925 for silver and JW (james weir) for the sponsor.
    The size is pretty impressive at 35mm without the crown and 38mm with the crown.

The case is stamped with brevet 71363, which believe is the same case rolex used for simlar trench watches

And the movement is where I fall down. I just can't seem to find any info. The only markings are the serial No and swiss made.

Re: Just in.. Full hunter trench watch

Can't identify the movement either. Here's an Espacenet entry for the patent CH71363:
    Espacenet - Bibliographic data
    Described as "wristwatch savonnette case", if I understand correctly.
    Pj.....o5 likes this.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Well, it doesn't look to me like the movement is original to the case int he first place, judging by the marks along the case edge. Also basing that on the movement design, which has design elements that appear much newer then the 1918 marked case.

It's not a W&D case, so not likely to have anything to do with Rolex.

The movement looks like a "Regina" movement (often associated with Omega). Nominally, these use the same date tables as "Omega" movements, which would date this to between 1915 and 1927. I say "nominally" though, becuase I remember reading that the numbers for the Regina factory were assigned as a "block" of numbers at one time, so the date of the serial is the date at which the "block" of numbers was assigned, and doesn't necessarily reflect the date of the movement itself (which may have been made and finished much later).
    Last edited by AbslomRob; June 2nd, 2015 at 19:07.
    Apollonaught and Pj.....o5 like this.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

This link has a nice write-up on James Weir: Sponsor's marks in watch cases
    Pj.....o5 likes this.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Quote Originally Posted by AbslomRob View Post
    Well, it doesn't look to me like the movement is original to the case int he first place, judging by the marks along the case edge. Also basing that on the movement design, which has design elements that appear much newer then the 1918 marked case.

It's not a W&D case, so not likely to have anything to do with Rolex.

The movement looks like a "Regina" movement (often associated with Omega). Nominally, these use the same date tables as "Omega" movements, which would date this to between 1915 and 1927. I say "nominally" though, becuase I remember reading that the numbers for the Regina factory were assigned as a "block" of numbers at one time, so the date of the serial is the date at which the "block" of numbers was assigned, and doesn't necessarily reflect the date of the movement itself (which may have been made and finished much later).
    Thankyou for the movement ID and you input .. I to a degree dismissed omega even though the serial number dated it 1916 -+2 years.

I'm uneducated to the id of movements etc, so which movement designs would date it after 1918.
    Would the lack of marks (names) on the movement and dial be down to someone importing the parts separately and putting together.
    Thankyou again..

Quote Originally Posted by AbslomRob View Post
    This link has a nice write-up on James Weir: Sponsor's marks in watch cases
    I saw this write up.. quite indepth. . I've manage to buy one of his jewellery/watch leather box today, which for me is quite a coincidence considering I brought the watch 2 days ago..

Found this on the nawcc website of a regina trench watch with what looks like same movement and dial.
    http://nawcc.pastperfect-online.com/...04614&type=101

The case type has been patented in 1915, which would be correct for the movement's year of manufacture... But the case dates to 1918. My conclusion would be, that someone has simply recased it then as a matter of practicality- keep in mind, that a full cover provided by a hunter case is kind of more efficient than the guard on the watch in the link you've posted. Which can make this a trench watch in the full meaning of this term. Just a theory.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Certainly a marriage, now it's been pointed out. Nice the movement and case are the same era, but now I'm starting to look at it as a bit of of frankenstein...

It's still a rather nice piece. Franken or not franken, it's still interesting due to the case construction. If- as you say- you have paid silly money for the watch, it might not be that bad after all.
    Edgar Allan Poe

George Orwell

Erich Maria Remarque

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information