Just inherited this Gruen watch...

Thread: Just inherited this Gruen watch...

Just inherited this Gruen watch...

This watch belonged to my Mom's aunt and I was wondering if any of you experts could give me an idea of how old it is? What I know is that it's a wind up watch, with white gold and diamonds and that it currently works. On the face it reads:

Gruen
    Curvex

and below it appears to say "precision" though the second half of the word is faded. On the back it says Gruen 14k Gold with a large "W" to the left of the number 14.

I am not asking because I am interested in selling it, I just think it's a beautiful watch and would like to know when it was made and possibly the value so I'll know if it's a good idea to wear on special occasions or not!

Let me know if better pictures, or pictures of a different part of the watch are required. Thanks in advance for your response.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Just inherited this Gruen watch...

Looks circa 1941 or so, value - sentimental or scrap price for the Gold. Have it serviced.

I think 1941 might be a tad early. Mike Barnett has a good ID book for watches and included womans styles. There is some similarity to a "Bride" model (c. 1948) but that is only in the styling of the case and is certainly not your model name. Yours is a higher end watch then the 'Bride' with a karat gold case, diamond accent and a Curvex movement. The hallmarks you list indicate that this is a Wadsworth cased watch and when you take it to get serviced, if you plan to keep it and maintain it so it will last to the next generation, the markings on the inside (the case serial) can be used to better pin-point a date for the watch. Serial should be in the form of Gxxxxxx or possibly Lxxxxxx.

It is a beautiful watch, the unfortunate thing is that vintage woman's watches are not as collectable as men's.
    All that I know is based on the hard work and writing of others. I can only aspire to augment this body of knowledge. If I am wrong it is because of my own failings. To quote Newton, "If I have seen farther it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hi there!

Let me give you a hand... I've got some new books just published that dives down really deep into the Gruen catalog (The Decade Series). Can you tell me what is written in the back of the case (i.e. the INSIDE of the back)? Or, better yet, post a picture of that part of it. Actually pictures of the inside in general will help.

-mike

Quote Originally Posted by MikeTheWatchGuy View Post
    Hi there!

Let me give you a hand... I've got some new books just published that dives down really deep into the Gruen catalog (The Decade Series). Can you tell me what is written in the back of the case (i.e. the INSIDE of the back)? Or, better yet, post a picture of that part of it. Actually pictures of the inside in general will help.

-mike
    Mike
    can you buy your books separately on Amazon?
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by HOROLOGIST007 View Post
    Mike
    I'd be interested in knowing this, too. I've always wanted to snag one of the books written about Gruen's history or model line-ups. Lots of pocket watch info is a plus.

Quote Originally Posted by HOROLOGIST007 View Post
    Mike
    Oh geez... how did I miss not answering this one??

I have not yet released this series of books on Amazon. Some of my other books are there.

It sounds like you want to buy one book only, for example. That's no problem at all.

You can find these books for sale at Gruen Bookstore which is simply part of the GruenWristwatches.com larger site.

Two other distribution channels... I have them listed on ebay, and you can buy directly from my printer Lulu.com . Just search for some part of the title and you'll find it.

I have a brand new Gruen ID book, The Gruen Watch Model Identification Guide Volume 2, that I am going to post on this forum today. It too is now on ebay and has been available in my store for a while now.

I HOPE it's OK to answer this question with information on where to obtain this reference item that another user has requested. If it's not OK, I'm very sorry!! I am not trying to break the rules. There is some info on the forum regarding these books over in the For Sale forum.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    GruenWristwatches.com

All-Gruen All the Time

Quote Originally Posted by MikeTheWatchGuy View Post
    Oh geez... how did I miss not answering this one??

I have not yet released this series of books on Amazon. Some of my other books are there.

It sounds like you want to buy one book only, for example. That's no problem at all.

You can find these books for sale at Gruen Bookstore which is simply part of the GruenWristwatches.com larger site.

Two other distribution channels... I have them listed on ebay, and you can buy directly from my printer Lulu.com . Just search for some part of the title and you'll find it.

I have a brand new Gruen ID book, The Gruen Watch Model Identification Guide Volume 2, that I am going to post on this forum today. It too is now on ebay and has been available in my store for a while now.

I HOPE it's OK to answer this question with information on where to obtain this reference item that another user has requested. If it's not OK, I'm very sorry!! I am not trying to break the rules. There is some info on the forum regarding these books over in the For Sale forum.
    Cool Mike
    I have an Amazon voucher - hence my question.

BUT
    That said, i do want a copy of your books.
    AND The Gruen catalog, I think you offer on CD

ALSO
    What is your Ebay name???
    Last edited by HOROLOGIST007; March 13th, 2014 at 23:24.
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Thread Information