Is is just me or are HMT watches creeping up in price
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By parrotandpitbull

Thread: Is is just me or are HMT watches creeping up in price

Is is just me or are HMT watches creeping up in price

As usual, cruising eflat, as well as looking for a very specific HMT model that is actually rare. I was seeing prices of BIN 49 and 59 bucks for vintage models. And up. Looking at the sold and ending listings, quite a few were in that range. Not that they are not worth it. If they are original and the movements arent mucked up. Of course deals to found as ever. Just my 2 cent observation. I include a photo of my 8 dollar Kohinoor with a golden ( and I mean golden ) dial, from last year. Vintage and keeping great time.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by parrotandpitbull; July 7th, 2013 at 06:16.

Re: Is is just me or are HMT watches creeping up in price

It was my impression they were so cheap their prices had no where to go but up.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Yes your right eeeb. But take a look at Hmt tonight at the newly listed watches. There are watches ranging from fairly low, 17.00 dollars to 129.00 dollars for the same watch pictured here. And a huge amount around 50.00. This really is a vast jump and in record time. Well, thats my 2nd two cents.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I was once on the lookout for a HMT just to have an indian made watch in the collection but noticed prices had gone up.

The way I see it as a seller of HMT watches both here and on eBay, the price depends on many factors.

IMHO the prices are based on...

1. Ease of availability.
    2. Warranty.
    3. Serviced or not.
    4. Cost of Sourcing.
    5. Cost of selling.

Breaking it down.

1. Ease of availability: Some models are comparatively tougher to find (brand new as well as Pre owned). I source my watches from lots of places in India. When a supplier realises that I am ordering a certain model that is no longer in production/limited production.....he jacks up the prices. Simple demand and supply. I have to then pass on this higher cost to the end customer.

2. Warranty: Brand new watches come with a warranty and thus command a higher price.

3. Serviced or Not: Pre owned watches that are serviced would need to priced higher obviously. Maybe some watches are passed of as serviced while they are actually not but if in fact they have been serviced properly, the cost is going to be higher and servicing mechanical watches is getting higher and higher if you use a trusted and reliable watchmaker.

4. Cost of Sourcing: This varies from time to time for pre owned ones...don't ask me why...it just does. Guess it's again the demand and supply thing. As regards new HMT watches, prices were increased across the board by at least 20% for all models............hence the higher prices now.

5. Cost Of Selling: This is more of a personal thing which varies from seller to seller. Some might be happy making just a $ out of a watch while others would want certain more appropriate %age of the watch cost as a profit...depends on the effort involved and the kind of service provided pre sale as well as post sale. The higher the service level(time to ship,replacement,promptness of query responses,etc).............Time is money.

This would be true for all things sold on eBay and elsewhere but seems more pronounced since HMT watches have been seen as available dirt cheap.

To be fair fatehbajwa they were really really cheap in the first place, still a good price and I see other vintage pieces have gone up in price.

fatehbajwah's response to my post was concise, realistic and really interesting because it comes from the point of view of a dealer in HMT. It was the timing I was mostly interested in pointing out. One day everything seemed to change. Maybe that 20% increase in HMTs prices are the answer. I love Indian watches with original colorful dials.A cultural and artistic statement for the wrist. Much like the Russians love of color in their watches. In my imagination I view it as a little response to the oppressive Soviet State. Hmm, not too different nowadays. From my experiences in India, well, color is just very important. There I go digressing again. I just think, perhaps the seller of the gold dialed Kohinoor for 129.00 dollars is overly optimistic...if not greedy. 6 cents. P&P
    fatehbajwa likes this.

Thread Information