Just picked up a Citizen Jet Autodater

Thread: Just picked up a Citizen Jet Autodater

Picture Just picked up a Citizen Jet Autodater

I may have overpaid, but something about the 40mm case and the silver dial with gold hands and indices suckered me in.

Normally I can't stand anything gold colored, but this one struck me as special.

I know it's likely going to need a service, any recommendations? Also, what would the market price for these normally be... I paid over $150 for it and I'm not sure I got a good deal or got ripped.

Last edited by wristrested; February 5th, 2010 at 22:18.
    Matt

Re: Just picked up a Citizen Jet Autodater

I'm no expert but I think it's beautiful.

What a unique automatic movement!

Other than the discoloring of the caseback, it looks to be in very good condition. It will probably cost you about what you paid to get it serviced.

Certainly collectible even if not really valuable.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I think it is a fine looking dress watch and as Eeeb said it's movement gives it a certain cachet as a collectible.
    I know nothing except the fact of my own ignorance. Socrates

Hi -

Very, very interesting movement. According to Ranfft's pink pages, the type of movement - which is an automatic winding system with a ring rotor rotating on three rollers - was built in two different families of movements, but he does not document a 27 jewel movement, just up to 25 jewels.

Fundamentally, the movement are 13''', with a sweep central second and a quick date set by moving the hands between 10 and 12 the crown is pulled out. The beat is 18'000.

The first family of movements was the 1100 series, but with only 21 jewels.

The second family of movements was the 4100 series. with between 17 and 25 jewels.

Both families of movements date to the mid-1960s, but I don't have any specific dates (which really means that Dr. Ranfft doesn't document one ).

The advantage of this way of making the automatic winding system is that it allows the movement to be made thinner than one with a central rotor, since the rotor top here is no higher than the rest of the movement. It's an elegant solution, but one that is more difficult to manufacture. Later Citizen movements - which became Miyota movements - used the central rotor starting in the 1970s.

I have no idea how many were made, but it is most definitely an example of a unique winding system from a period when watchmakers were being very creative in finding ways of making new automatic winding mechanisms, and hence rather collectible (in my opinion).

JohnF
    コスト下げ やる気も一緒に 下げられる

John thanks for your thoughts and information on this piece. I understand the Jet and Super Jet lines had the extra jewels, and I believe that there was actually a 39 jeweled model at one point.

I agree that it is a collectible and significant watch, I'm not a collector, but really enjoy wearing watches that look this way. The waif-ness of the case is pretty special, and it's really quite large at 40mm and all dial.

I just want it to tell time well (imagine that?)

Thanks for all of your comments gents...
    Matt

That looks fantastic~Congrats!

Hundred dollar bargain! Rotor assembly looks tougher than any 2010 movement.

Beautiful watch at a deal! I sawa 33j last year that I considered paying the $200 that the dealer offered it for. I read that the autorotaor (think that was name on it) was the thinnest auto made.

Thread Information