Just purchased on eBay - Vintage ELCO / Caravelle / Timex & Citizen
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Manks

Thread: Just purchased on eBay - Vintage ELCO / Caravelle / Timex & Citizen

Just purchased on eBay - Vintage ELCO / Caravelle / Timex & Citizen

I have a few very nice vintage watches (Omegas (2) / Tudor / Landeron 48). I am looking to grow my little collection and have started to look at eBay as an option.

I would not buy an expensive watch there - but for fun I bid and won a lot of four watches.

A Lot of Watches and Bands | eBay

Total costs of $18.50 with shipping - so pretty limited risk.

I really like the look of the ELCO, the Caravelle is ok, and the old Timex may be kind of fun to wear once and while.

I don't know much about ELCO as a brand - does any one have thoughts?

More importantly was I being stupid bidding on this junk?

Re: Just purchased on eBay - Vintage ELCO / Caravelle / Timex & Citizen

Depends if you like the pieces, if you can restore them (should it be needed) and then wear them
    You can not really go wrong for $18.
    BUT
    If you continue to buy 'these type' of packages you can end up with a lot of junk.

I try to tell people (new collectors) to stay focussed.

Regards
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

My plan quite frankly is to donate the junk to Goodwill ect - I was really only interested in the two mechanical pieces and for $18 it was worth the risk. I am now looking at buying an old Hamilton WWII Military watch.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Buying mixed, poorly described, lots is a bit of a gamble - but you're not risking much and it can be a good way to handle a variety of watches. And sometimes you may actually get to like one or two of the 'junk' pieces.

There have been a few Elco watches posted in here - try the search function to find out a bit about the brand.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

If any of the watches work and/or you really like them, you didn't mess up for sure.
    The Elco pie pan-esque watch looks great. The Caravelle is a solid little watch if it works.
    I have older Timex's, but cant tell the age of this one from the auction page.
    If you like it and it needs anything, I do know a guy that will take care of it.
    "Time flies when you're throwing watches."
    What has a man profited, if he gains the whole world yet forfeits his soul? Mt16:26
    IG: @BuyingOnTime

Thanks for the comments, I really like the look of the ELCO - but do not know anything about the brand. I think Caravelle is a sub brand of Bulova, so mid range quality at best, but kind of a neat old piece.

The risk is very minimal, at less than $20 bucks, if one of those two can be repaired to running I will have done well, if not, then I toss them for little loss.

I am not bidding on some better pieces, a nice little Zodiac, an old Russian watch and another vintage Zodiac diver for my son. Not risking more than $50 on any of them and will not be hurt if I don't get them, but it is fun to do.

I am becoming more interested in the WWII military watches from Hamilton and Bulova - any thoughts on what to watch out for? (no pun intended)
    JP71624 likes this.

As far as the older military-type watches, we'd need someone knowledgeable to chime in, but I see tons labeled as "WWII" and I'd be surprised if there is much truth to those. Also, I've heard some good fakes and frankenstein-assbled pieces exist fairly regular, specifically with your Omegas and more desire able pieces. Be careful and ask opinions, if needed.
    "Time flies when you're throwing watches."
    What has a man profited, if he gains the whole world yet forfeits his soul? Mt16:26
    IG: @BuyingOnTime

I just got the package of watches in the mail.

ELCO - Disappointed in this one - rougher shape than I had thought it would be. Plus I think based on it's size it may be a ladies watch. I will have it checked out to see if it is any good, and make a decision to repair or toss.

Timex - As expected - really did not care about that one - it is a cheap ladies model. Not running, like the above will have it checked out and see if it is worth fixing - I doubt it.

Citizen Quartz - was a throw in - don't care about it at all one way or the other. Not worth putting a $10 Battery in. Toss it

Caravelle: A nice surprise. It is running - a bit fast but running none the less. It is clean and looks good. This one is a keeper. I will have it serviced and put a new band on it and we will be good to go! Nice little silver dress watch.

$18.50
    And you are disappointed in ONE piece.??
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by HOROLOGIST007 View Post
    $18.50
    And you are disappointed in ONE piece.??
    ... and you pay $10 for a battery? Hummmm... oh well.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Thread Information