Just Purchased Vintage Nivada Compensamatic Hand Winder
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Mickgriddle

Thread: Just Purchased Vintage Nivada Compensamatic Hand Winder

Just Purchased Vintage Nivada Compensamatic Hand Winder

Vintage Watch Forumers,

Deciding to forgo costly repairs of an Unitas project watch, I purchased a nice condition vintage Nivada Compensamatic wristwatch from eBay today. I tried looking for info on Nivada on WUS, but nothing too definitive. Does anybody know much about the Nivada brand, other than that it's Swiss and from the mid-20th century? The number on the caseback is 36047, and the movement is a standard A. Schild 1802 with 17 jewels. The seller provided some more excellent quality photos with the auction, which can be found at this link: Index of /watches/nivada
    The final price was £51 (about USD 81).

The seller (welputin1981) is also Finnish, so I don't know if that has anything to do with the quality of his/her eBaying, but the meticulous photographs of the items are impressive. I'll see if the watch arrives without a hitch.

Name:  IMG_6163.jpg
Views: 6167
Size:  323.6 KBName:  IMG_6171.jpg
Views: 4104
Size:  304.0 KBName:  IMG_6177.jpg
Views: 4899
Size:  623.7 KB
    Last edited by Mickgriddle; November 26th, 2012 at 04:49.
    DragonDan likes this.
    Wandering sailor, watch aficionado, casual cyclist.

Re: Just Purchased Vintage Nivada Compensamatic Hand Winder

Nivada was/is? an assembler who made quality watches for many years. For a while they were second to Heuer in chronograph design. I have never seen an Nivada I didn't want!! (Well, that's an exaggeration. But you get the idea.)

Nice example!
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Congrats on your new timepiece!
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM ‘801 EE Motor Barrel’

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thank you for the replies! Yes, the watch looks beautiful in the pictures, hopefully it'll look good in person. Nivada sounds like a good vintage brand, might become my new daily wearer!

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Nivada were located in Grenchen but as far as I know, they didn't survive (not even just as a name). They used generic movements exclusively but their watches were always of a high standard. That one is from the sixties.

Hartmut Richter

Thank you Hartmut for the information. I'm kind of glad Nivada didn't survive to present day, lest the name be bought by a non-Swiss company and turned into low-grade watches. Is the AS movement a decent one to have in a watch? I just want one that runs consistently and is easy to adjust (hopefully "compensamatic" will live up to the name)

My kind of watch – classically understated, very clean condition, and a solid movement. Congratulations!

I'm not certain that the crown is original, but in any case, it appears to be quite a nice watch.

You have good taste Tony! Looks are what drew me to it, plus the AS movement. And you are correct, the seller replaced the crown and case tube. The bigger size should help with winding.

-Mick

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Adolf Schild were one of the "big three". When the ESA trust was set up in 1927, the Swiss watch industry was divided up by decree. Each company was only allowed to make certain types of movements, based on what they had been making up to then and, I suppose, also on their influence in the watch industry. Chronographs were only allowed to be made by Venus, Valjoux and Landeron (inside the ESA trust, that is - outside, there were other makers like Martel, Lemania and Excelsior Park). Adolf Schild was one of the three allowed to make automatic movements (the other two were ETA and Felsa). Adolf Schild movements are of high quality, the only thing that I have experienced to frequently go notoriously wrong is the date mechanism which is prone to having the date friction springs break. Since yours lacks the date mechanism, you need not worry.

Hartmut Richter

Thank you for the through response and a bit of history! It's funny how only one manufacturer, ETA, came out on top in the end and survives to the day (although I can see how ETA used part of the AS logo in theirs).

Thread Information