Just a quick Hello.

Thread: Just a quick Hello.

Just a quick Hello.

Just wanted to quickly introduce myself.
    I'm usually over at the G Shock or Suunto forum.

Most of my collection consists of wrist watches but I do have a pocket watch that I picked up 30 years ago at a flee market.
    I spent 10$ plus another 20$ to replace a bushing to get it running.
    I wear it rarely and it spends most of it's time on display on my night stand but it keeps good time. It's an Elgin and based on it's serial number I know that it was made in 1921 with a 7 Jewel Grade 303 movement. From what I understand this also happens to be the most prolific movement that Elgin made.
    I'm not really concerned about value. I've had it so long it's more sentimental than anything.
    Lately I've been kind of interested in wearing a pocket watch more often, does anyone here have experience with this model Elgin? Or should I pick up something a little newer?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Just a quick Hello.

Hi Deacon,

Nice watch. I love the caseback.

I don't have any experience with Elgins, but if you're interested in wearing a pocket watch more frequently, your best bet is probably to wear this one anyway, and not to buy a newer one. Older pocket watches were generally better made, they were designed for daily use and they were meant to be worn all the time. Newer pocket watches (depending on where you buy them from) are generally just showpieces and some can have rather questionable construction quality. Antique or vintage pocket watches were built really solidly.

A seven-jewel watch should keep pretty decent time. My 7J Waltham certainly does. Make sure you get a chain for the watch before you wear it.
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

I would say you are fine with the grade 303 you have as long as it has been cleaned and oiled properly. It was indeed made in huge numbers (2.215.000 units between 1903 and 1939). I have one of the 17j versions from the same family, grade 345 (790.000 units made). With so many watches produced, and over so many years, the base design must have been good. After all, it is an Elgin, not a dollarwatch. I see no reason to get a newer watch unless you want to have one of the last US railroad grade watches made, where the newest available technology was incorporated (1940 - 1950ies). However, after starting to wear your pocketwatch regularly you might find yourself wanting to get another, just for fun. Then another...
    Erik_H
    Member NAWCC Chapter 149

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

However, after starting to wear your pocketwatch regularly you might find yourself wanting to get another, just for fun. Then another...

Erik speaks true. Beware the watch-bug. BEWAAAARE!!!
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

Quote Originally Posted by Shangas View Post
    However, after starting to wear your pocketwatch regularly you might find yourself wanting to get another, just for fun. Then another...

Erik speaks true. Beware the watch-bug. BEWAAAARE!!!
    LOL!
    Like that never happens with G Shocks........

I do have a nice chain that clip to a belt loop when worn in my jeans watch pocket.
    But I'll need to get one that's slightly longer for my dress slacks. Surprisingly enough, most of my dress slack have a small pocket inside the right front pocket that hold a pocket watch quite nicely.

A lot of pants/trousers/slacks/jeans have watch-pockets sewn into them. It's just a matter of finding out which pockets will accept your watch most comfortably.

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

Looks terrific~Cheers!

Thread Information