Just received - Elgin Pocketwatch

Thread: Just received - Elgin Pocketwatch

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Just received - Elgin Pocketwatch

Since I've gotten back into buying watches (really wristwatches) my mother decided to give me a few of her pieces that she thought I'd like. One was this Elgin Rose Gold pocket watch (whether is real gold...??). Anyway I looked up the serial number off the movement (9670286) at it appears to be from around 1901?! I'm looking for any other info you guys might see from the following pictures. I'm hoping to get it service and back in working order to display in my home on a mantle, etc. It really is a beautiful piece!:thanks

Here is all the info/numbers I pulled off it:
    Case:
    Elgin
    Greek statue looking picture
    Warranted 20 years

Movement:
    15 Jewels
    Elgin Natl. Watch Co.
    USA
    Safety Pinion

On inside rim of movement:
    2 1572

Front case

Back Case

Face

Movement
    Jeff

Re: Just received - Elgin Pocketwatch

It really is a beautiful watch. :) The Edwardian/Nouveau lettering and designs on the movement itself is just beautiful, as well as the actual case.

I can't really tell you much about the movement, since I'm just learning about all that myself, but http://elginwatches.org/cgi-bin/elgi...&action=search has a lot of the info on it. (Not sure if that's the site you looked it up at... :) ).

I can tell you, however, the case is (almost positively) goldfilled, but that's not uncommon for watches (and other pieces of jewelry) from that time period. From what I gather, anything that gives a time period (10 years, 20 years, etc) is gold filled. But, like I said, I'm just learning about all this stuff too, so... :) It's nice that the case was made by Elgin also, though, instead of being made by a third party (at least, to me it is... XD ).

I assume that it's not working since you mention bringing it back to "working order." It looks to be relatively free from dings, so I guess that rules out breakage from dropping. Do you know what's wrong with it, or at least what in particular won't work?

I don't know what is wrong with it. I've tried winding the crown a bit but I don't hear anything internally and the time is frozen. Also if you look closely you can see a couple hairline cracks either in the crystal (?) or the face itself. For its age I'd say its a 8.5/10. I have a lot of respect for the craftsmanship put into it and I think it could become a family /generational piece if brought back 100%. I would not mind pumping some $$$ into it.

Also, "yes", elginwathes.org is where I got the date from the serial no. from. Thanks!
    Jeff

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

It is in pretty good cosmetic shape considering it's from 1901. It's a fairly rare model as well being a bridge movement.
    It really should be cleaned and oiled, and a repair could be as simple as a broken mainspring or balance staff. A good watchmaker can advise you. A nice watch well worth restoring if you like it. Elgin is relatively easy to get parts for if they are not too exotic.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Thanks for the advice. It really does look pretty shiny for being over 100 years old! The inside of the cases shine and reflect really well also. I have a jewelers cloth (rouge) and some other stuff but frankly I'm too afraid of messing it up, plus you can't really stick it under a facet to wash it off. I'll leave it all to a professional.

I've contacted one professional I got off the elgin.org site that is in Pooler, GA which probably is within driving distance from me in N. GA. If anyone knows of anyone that is really good in the Atlanta area please PM me with that info, I'd appreciate it!
    Jeff

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Thank you for the links! I know exactly where these are as I used to live in Roswell. They are both about 20-25 minutes from me. Cool beans!
    Jeff

I would take that one to Cornell

http://www.swisswatchandclock.com/about.html

I just spent five minutes looking at that movement. What an amazing little machine. The finish on it is beautiful. A look I don't see anywhere but in American watches.

Beautiful watch.

Quote Originally Posted by tictoc View Post
    I just spent five minutes looking at that movement. What an amazing little machine. The finish on it is beautiful. A look I don't see anywhere but in American watches.

Beautiful watch.
    Thank you very much and thank you all for the nice comments. It just makes me feel all that much happier about it and servicing it. Once I get it done I'll be sure to post a follow up with comments and pictures!
    Jeff

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information