Just received - Hamilton 4992B (Ebay)

Thread: Just received - Hamilton 4992B (Ebay)

Just received - Hamilton 4992B (Ebay)

This is the watch I won on Ebay on the 17th (my birthday). Received it today, and I am very pleased! It runs great, but I will have it serviced next month just to be sure everything's A-OK. I am proud of this addition to the collection - been looking for one of these for a while, I think I did well at $265.

Crystal and dial are in beautiful shape, just a bit of wear to the paint on the hands.

Anybody know what these markings mean?

Some wear to the back of the case.

Absolutely gorgeous movement!

Last edited by Boge Quinn; November 22nd, 2008 at 21:01.

Re: Just received - Hamilton 4992B (Ebay)

Really nice, that was a good catch

Erik_H

Nice watch I remember when Ebay first started you could get good deals they are few and far between now good catch you might misspell a watch you want in the search and some times the seller does that in the listing and your the only one bidding.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hi -

Lovely! In case you're wondering where the 22nd jewel is, it's on the central sweep seconds pinion bridge.

JohnF
    コスト下げ やる気も一緒に 下げられる

Thanks, JohnF! Now I've just gotta figure out what the OTHER 21 jewels do! Can't say I know much about watchworks, but I do know that 22 jewels is good, and I know a beautiful movement when I see one (just ask my girlfriend, bada-BING!).

Boge

Hi -

Here's what the other 21 do. Scroll down a bit.

What is also interesting is that the Hamilton 923, with 23 jewels, is probably the movement with the largest number of jewels that perform a useful, as opposed to functional or merely decorative, function. Take a look here for more info. There were only 3542 923s made, and they are extremely rare: I've seen them go, for the movement alone, at close to $2000.

And take a look here: pocket watch damascening at its very best.

JohnF
    コスト下げ やる気も一緒に 下げられる

JohnF - very interesting stuff, thanks! I am learning a great deal about watches by hanging out here, it is deeply appreciated.

What does "adjusted to x positions / temp" mean?

By the way - I dig your blogs!

Boge
    Last edited by Boge Quinn; November 23rd, 2008 at 08:27.

Hi -

Thanks.

I had a really long post somewhere on WUS a while ago about adjustment, but to answer your question briefly: it means that the watch is regulated (i.e. adjusted to keep a certain time-keeping standard) in not just one position, but in multiple positions to simulate the effects of wearing the watch. Lets the watchmaker fine-tune the watch to the highest degree of accuracy possible. This used to be the domain of the local watchmaker, but the manufacturers took over the job - they can do it much more cost-effective, given their expertise and equipment - and hence this showed up on higher-end watches.

Basically, gravity affects how the hairspring works, and adjusting to 6 positions reduces this effect to a minimum (of course, rotating the heart of the watch, the hairspring and balance, constantly reduces this even further: hence the tourbillion).

Before virtually everyone went to temperature-insensitive nickel alloys for their balance wheels, the balance wheel showed differences in size due to temperature, which can have a significant effect on timing. Hence the watch would be warmed up and adjusted, then cooled and adjusted, repeating until the watch was as accurate as the design could make it.

Both position and temperature adjustments are an iterative process and can take up to several days to adjust, depending on how good the original movement was. Vastly more important for pocket watches than for modern wrist watch movements, which generally, for such a mass-production product, are in many, many ways truly outstanding.

JohnF
    コスト下げ やる気も一緒に 下げられる

A beautiful piece! Congratulations on finding that treasure...

Thanks!

Thread Information