Kasper
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Kasper

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Kasper

Arrived today, another fairly obscure German brand - Kasper. They made their own movements and a there is a little history here:

bidfun-db Kasper_000: Kasper & Co., Pforzheim

This features a Kasper 900 or 901 movement:
    bidfun-db Kasper_900: Kasper 900

The only markings are 11 and the letter U under the balance.

Anyway, the plating and dial are in very good condition and it works (so far).

I was the only bidder at the start point of 10.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Re: Kasper

I had never heard of them. Great condition!
    Erik_H
    Member NAWCC Chapter 149

Thanks Erik. There is a post by Hartmut in the German which has a few others you won't know as well :

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f8/what...ch-128441.html

Although certainly Kasper, Forster and Mauthe made at least some of their own movements.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Interesting linked discussion - and I like that watch, what a great score

Banned

Looks like a bargain! Alpha hands and only a large 12 & 6 - my kinda watch.

Thank you both gentlemen.

Bump to a long-dormant thread.
    Thanks in advance; I'm a newbie to watches and horology, and this site is a great resource.

Kasper also made ladies' watches. I came across one recently in a collection of oddities.
    After a slight cleaning and a little winding, the watch runs! My untrained ear believes it's 4 beats per second.

Watch is 22mm x 15.4mm x 8.5mm high (including glass crystal). Case is gold plated; back is stainless steel.
    Strap is black leather (probably NOT original), 7mm wide loops, attached to permanent rings (not springbar-and-lug).
    Face: white, with gold hour and minute hands. No second hand. Hours marked with single gold bars, except 12, 3, 6, and 9.
    Legend: above center, 4 circles in a line with a single black bar through the middle two and half the end circles.
    below center: "10 RUBIS"
    Back: manufacturer's mark and "KASPER" in a box. (Ranfft illustration #3, 1939-1970 usage)
    Four lines of text beneath the mark: "WALTZGOLDDOUBLE" "20 MIKRON" "BODEN" "EDELSTAHL"

Attached are photos. For scale, the diameter of he stem is 5.1mm.
    Attachment 9765730Attachment 9765738Attachment 9765714Attachment 9765746Attachment 9765754
    Commentary would be appreciated.

Attachment doesn't work for me, so I put in one of my 'Kasper'-watches from the 1950s and some info on the company. Your ladies watch most likely beats with 18.000 A/h (5 beats per second). I don't think Kasper ever made a 14.400 A/h version.

Kasper is one of the many forgotten names in the watch industry. It had its seat in Pforzheim/Germany.

Although things started in Pforzheim with watchmaking (in the year 1767 as work for an orphanage-home by decree of the Margrave Karl Friedrich von Baden, later jewelers work was added), it is today far more famous for its gold- and jewelers industry. Around 80% of Germany’s gold- and jewelers works originate from Pforzheim.

A lot of watch brands came from there, and the producers are often called disrespectfully 'Einschaler' amongst German collectors (someone who is just putting movements into cases). However, that must not be a bad thing. Jewelers and goldsmiths certainly know what they are doing and an ETA movement f.i. is always a good choice and certainly equal to or better than a lot of things made in-house.

The still existing 'Goldschmiedeschule mit Uhrmacherschule' (goldsmith- with/and watchmakers school) in Pforzheim, founded 1768, is the oldest vocational school in the world.

Companies in Pforzheim have often bought companies in other countries or have re-activated old brand names. Commercially, and aiming at the lower- and medium priced market, the concept generally was a success, up to a certain point in time.

Kasper was one of the companies which had produced their own movements. Founded in 1911, they firstly began with the production of stretch-bands. In the year 1927 they started making watch cases and as from 1932 ebauche-movements. In 1955, they made the first automatic movement (cal. 1000) and in 1964 the second automatic version (cal. 1450/1451).

Kasper had disappeared from the market around 1970.

There is a slight problem to wear a 'Kasper' watch in German speaking countries. Kasper (here a family name) is the German word for punch, clown, buffoon, and when naming a real person that way, it really means, depending on the situation, anything from clumsy, incompetent up to fool or idiot. 'Kasper-Truppe' (Kasper/clown-troop) is a word often used for the EU-administration in Brussels and for football (soccer-) teams at the end of the league’s ranking.

Below is one of my hand-wind Kasper watches (cal. 900). It is in near mint condition except for the minute hand (probably because no one ever wanted to wear it). I even gave it a new wrist band for the cushion in the obscure-objects-collection.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by Border-Reiver; October 28th, 2016 at 16:54. Reason: typos

Hi, again,
    sorry about the failed attachments, I will try again.

Name:  WatchPix3 - 07.jpg
Views: 458
Size:  1.61 MBName:  WatchPix3 - 08.jpg
Views: 455
Size:  1.29 MBName:  WatchPix3 - 10.jpg
Views: 440
Size:  741.6 KBName:  WatchPix3 - 11.jpg
Views: 438
Size:  622.4 KBName:  WatchPix3 - 12.jpg
Views: 455
Size:  1.33 MB

there should be five of them...
    busmatt likes this.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Welcome to Watchuseek. That's an interesting watch you got there. For a start, I can't find any link between that logo and Kasper so I believe it is a branded watch made by Kasper for Auto Union, the car company conglomerate that was made up of Audi, DKW, Horch and Wanderer (each represented by one the four rings in the logo) and nowadays reduced to Audi alone. The movement is a little primitive: a Cal. 200 from the post war years using a cylindre escapement to save production costs and jewels in a phase when Germany wasn't really doing all that well. That would put your watch around the latter part of the 1940s or possibly the very early 1950s.

www.uhrwerksarchiv.de - Kasper 200 alt

Hartmut Richter
    busmatt likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information