KASPER watch
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Border-Reiver
  • 1 Post By Vintage1982

Thread: KASPER watch

KASPER watch

A while ago, someone opened a thread asking if anyone ever found a watch with engraved initials, which were identical with his own. Then came a post, that someone is looking for a certain watch brand, identical with his own family name = Kasper.

My immediate reaction was to see if there is such a watch brand on offer at ebay, and bingo: There she was! It was for a fixed price with the remark 'or make offer'. After checking the usual things and just to keep the thing in view (could have done this also with the watch list), I made a proposal at a level where I've thought I would not get it. Back came a counter proposal, just rounding up the price. Following fair and decent behavior on this platform, I made the purchase.

I had never heard of a 'Kasper' watch, which is a Germand brand and the name means 'Punch' - the main character in the Punch and Judy show.

Kasper was founded in 1911 in Pforzheim. To most people Pforzheim (the Gold-city) is more related to jewelry and goldsmith work, than to watchmaking. No wonder, 70 percent of the total production in Germany comes from here. Many famous global brands are connected to Pforzheim. There are also watchmakers and some of the watches (f.i. Chopard) can easily reach the price level of a Rolex, but merely for the gold and diamonds around an ETA- or other movement. But enterprises in Pforzheim have also taken over many watch companies abroad over the years.

This dominance of the jewelry industries makes people forget, that everything there has started with watchmaking in Pforzheim. In 1767, the margrave Karl-Friedrich helped to establish the watch industry. With the help of an entrepreneuer from Switzerland, he established a watch- and clock factory in an orphanage home, with the intention to give work to orphan children. At the beginning of the 19th Century, Pforzheim was considered to be the most important centre for the watch- and jewelry industry worldwide (adding both together).

Kasper was one of the true watchmaking factories in Pforzheim. The started with draw-bands and then, in 1927, they began producing watch cases. As from 1932, they made movements for wrist watches and had their first automatic movement in 1955. They must have disappeared from the market around 1970, along with the 'quartz-crisis'.

The watch I have, is a 21 jewel handwind with date w i t h o u t date (corrected afterwards). Except for a tiny scratch on the crystal and some layer on the minute hand, it is in excellent, almost mint condition. Inside there is a 21 jewel movement, can't decide between cal. 900 and cal. 950 in the Ranfft database.

Since I have this new case opener you see on the pictures (it is a must to have the original Bergeon) I never had problems to open any kind of a screw-on back, however tight it was sitting. On more difficult cases, you best put the watch into the palm of your hand, working with the tool in the other.

The watch must have been lying around in a drawer for long. I let the watch run fully through three times (I call that a 'small service', which loosens dried in oil). It was on time right from the beginning, but the reading on the time scale, the 4th time around, pushed the tears into my eyes: An almost straight (single) line, with + or - 2 to 3 seconds deciation/day beat error 0.0 / 0.1.

Of course, the forum member with the same family name was aware of all this and informed by PM and given the choice to take it at original cost (we decided it will become my WRUW this month watch for September).
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by Border-Reiver; August 11th, 2015 at 22:49. Reason: correcting mistake
    SilkeN and busmatt like this.

Re: KASPER watch

It's a great looking watch and obviously running perfectly. The movement looks indeed very clean and well maintained with the compass or regulator pointer dead center. Because it's a no date the caliber is the 900.
    Border-Reiver likes this.

Re: KASPER watch

Quote Originally Posted by Vintage1982 View Post
    It's a great looking watch and obviously running perfectly. The movement looks indeed very clean and well maintained with the compass or regulator pointer dead center. Because it's a no date the caliber is the 900.
    Thanks, my mistake. I corrected the original posting.

Thread Information