L. A. Leuba Vintage Watch
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: L. A. Leuba Vintage Watch

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Smile L. A. Leuba Vintage Watch

I was given this beautiful vintage watch several years ago by my Grandmother. It is 14 karat gold. It has a dome hinged top that covers the face of the watch. The dome has swirl design and has a center diamond with 3 smaller diamonds in a star burst design.There is also a safety chain. The watch band is solid with raised edges. It is a wind up watch. It is in excellent condition. I would love to hear from anyone that might know any more information about this watch. It is a L.A. Leuba Ladies watch. I was told by the Executive Vice President of a Fine Jewelry Company the following:

• L.A. is for Louis A. Leuba;
    • The watch is quite an old Swiss watch and was well known in it's day:
    • The company had ceased operation;
    • The company is NOT related to Favre - Leuba;
    • The company had specialized in ladies dress watches with hinged covers;

I was not able to download any pictures but I will try again. I look forward to hearing from anybody that can help me with more factual information. Thanks.

Last edited by bugseyboo; May 24th, 2013 at 04:47.

Re: L. A. Leuba Vintage Watch

Quote Originally Posted by bugseyboo View Post
    I was given this beautiful vintage watch several years ago by my Grandmother. It is 14 karat gold. It has a dome hinged top that covers the face of the watch. The dome has swirl design and has a center diamond with 3 smaller diamonds in a star burst design.There is also a safety chain. The watch band is solid with raised edges. It is a wind up watch. It is in excellent condition. I would love to hear from anyone that might know any more information about this watch. It is a L.A. Leuba Ladies watch. I was told by the Executive Vice President of a Fine Jewelry Company the following:

• L.A. is for Louis A. Leuba;
    • The watch is quite an old Swiss watch and was well known in it's day:
    • The company had ceased operation;
    • The company is NOT related to Favre - Leuba;
    • The company had specialized in ladies dress watches with hinged covers;

I was not able to download any pictures but I will try again. I look forward to hearing from anybody that can help me with more factual information. Thanks.
    Hi and welcome - your Jeweler is correct, Swiss and nothing to do with Favre Leuba

Sound like a hunter style watch (domed cover)
    Leuba, Louis SA - Geneva
    Company was founded in 1908
    Company was still listed in 1973

Thats all I had.
    Try to post pictures of case/dial and movement
    ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS: Kathleen Pritchard - Swiss Timekeepers
    Regards
    adam
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Hi and welcome.

To post pictures either reduce the file size to c.900kb or use a file hosting service like Photobucket see:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f295/ho...es-805075.html

Name:  Louis a leuba.jpg
Views: 1420
Size:  20.8 KB
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Marrick View Post
    Hi and welcome.

To post pictures either reduce the file size to c.900kb or use a file hosting service like Photobucket see:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f295/ho...es-805075.html

Name:  Louis a leuba.jpg
Views: 1420
Size:  20.8 KB
    Glad your advert ties up (1908) with my post !
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    Adam

I added some pictures to the original post.

That is a lovely special piece
    Looks a bit like this Jaeger-LeCoultre - made in 1953 as a gift for Her Majesty The Queen on her Coronation
    It is in the NAWCC Museum in Columbia Pennsylvania

Last edited by HOROLOGIST007; May 24th, 2013 at 18:25.

and
    Adam

That is an interesting piece Adam.
    How does a coronation gift to Queen Elizabeth 11 end up in a US watch collectors museum? do you know?

Quote Originally Posted by HOROLOGIST007 View Post
    That is a lovely special piece.
    Indeed it is. I can't tell you anything about it - its an uncommon watch; more a piece of jewellery than a timekeeper. I'd guess at 1950's, but I don't know. Very elegant.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Yes, its most interesting.
    The 'provenance' states that this 'style' of watch was given by the Swiss Govenment to Her Majesty The Queen for her Coronation in 1953.
    It was made by Jaeger-LeCoultre
    I wrote while at the NAWCC Museum to JLC, but surprisingly, they have NO records. Sad but true.

I did further research and found a picture of the dress that the Queen wore - I could see her watch - a JLC with diamonds, but NOT as intricate with crown lugs like this

Here is the full catalog description - written by myself
    "Ladies wristwatch, Jaeger-LeCoultrewristwatch of 18 K yellow gold, with a silvered dial.
    Open work ornamental cover with 5 full cut diamonds, having a total weight of approx 0.30ct. Each lug is setwith 4 full cut diamonds having a total weight of approximately 0.18 ct ( total 0.36). It is made in the style of the watch presented by the Swiss Goverment, and worn by Queen Elizabeth II for her Coronation in 1953.
    It has elaborate lugs in the shape of the Coronation crown, each with 4 diamonds.
    Round gold mesh band marked "750, 14", Gold. Back of case marked "534088 A". Back Wind & Set.
    From Jaeger-LeCoultre records:
    "Regarding to the first watch, we have no idea if it was the model presented to the Queen by the Swiss Government. Do you have any tangible information about this present? The model is absent from our archives but the hallmarks in the back of case seem correct. The 18 K gold case 534088A (which correspond with calibre 8NR = 469) isn’t referenced nor dated in our archives. Calibre Jaeger-LeCoultre 469. Movement 686233 produced in 1950 (quantity unknown)."

Again, this watch is a copy of a watch presented to Queen Elizabeth II by the Swiss government in 1953.
    UNQUOTE

So the jury is still out
    More pictures taken by me here:
    Wristwatch

The next job would have been to write to the 'keeper of the Queens Jewels' at Buckingham palace. That is what Curators/Museums do
    Sadly I ran out of time

NOTE
    This piece would NEVER be the one given to Her Majesty The Queen.
    BUT
    a replica made at the time by Jaeger-LeCoultre

Last edited by HOROLOGIST007; May 24th, 2013 at 21:11.

and
    Adam

Jeepers, You'ld think JLC would know if they made a watch which was presented
    as a coronation gift by the Swiss government to queen Elizabeth 11 on her Coronation.

It's amazing that Jaeger le Coultre is asking YOU for information regarding this gift.......
    "Regarding to the first watch, we have no idea if it was the model presented to the Queen by the Swiss Government. Do you have any tangible information about this present?"
    I'm intrigued to know the provenance by which you have catalogued this watch.

As a side interest I found this old Pathe news reel of a watch the Swiss Gov presented to princess Elizabeth in 1947..
    SWISS GOVERNMENT'S GIFT FOR PRINCESS ELIZABETH - British Pathé

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information