La Forge vintage watch
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Fred.S

Thread: La Forge vintage watch

Hi WUS,
    I just replaced the broken mainspring and serviced this vintage La Forge watch 33mm all SS and it feels quite well made. The movement is marked Macy H.R but there's no movement maker reference or number, however, when I tried to look up the brand, I couldn't find any literature other than it was a brand by a jeweler at Macy's.
    Does anyone know the history of this brand and they're watches and in what era do you think this watch was made, I'll attach some pictures.
    Thank you
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by Fred.S; April 15th, 2018 at 21:29.
    parrotandpitbull likes this.

Re: La Forge vintage watch

Lovely watch, Fred. Well done on getting it sorted. I'm afraid I'm no expert, but it looks to be from the 40s to me (size and sub-seconds). Could also be the case that in those days, when many Swiss companies, including movement makers, were still thriving, it wouldn't have been too difficult to find a company to make these with Macy's branding. Smiths in England made watches for Benson's the jeweller's for example.

Sorry I can't be of more help. You might have better luck posting in Vintage & Pocketwatches forum.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Unless "Moisturproof" (without the "E") is a brand name (like "Compax" or "Compur" for Universal Geneve), I would definitely suspect this to be a redial. And in view of the unusually pristine dial and the slightly raised "F" in "Moisturproof", my suspicions are abnormally high.....

Hartmut Richter

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Hartmut Richter View Post
    Unless "Moisturproof" (without the "E") is a brand name (like "Compax" or "Compur" for Universal Geneve), I would definitely suspect this to be a redial. And in view of the unusually pristine dial and the slightly raised "F" in "Moisturproof", my suspicions are abnormally high.....
    There is no question that it is a re-dial, and I presume the OP is already aware of that. Based on his post, he seems more interested in the history of the brand. Mikrolisk shows that La Forge was a brand name used by the Macy's department store, registered in 1930. We can really only guess at the era of the watch based on style. I would guess late 1940s or 1950s, but I don't think I could narrow it down much more than that.

Name:  Screen Shot 2018-04-15 at 3.07.31 PM.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  48.1 KB
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

Hartmut Richter
    It might be a redial but the condition of the dial matches the condition of the case with very fine scratches and looks unpolished, the movement is pristine and couldn't find any servicing date mark. Overall it shows very minimal signs of use. I wish I could find a scan of an ad for this watch to compare it with.
    Last edited by Fred.S; April 16th, 2018 at 01:01.

Quote Originally Posted by badbackdan View Post
    There is no question that it is a re-dial, and I presume the OP is already aware of that. Based on his post, he seems more interested in the history of the brand. Mikrolisk shows that La Forge was a brand name used by the Macy's department store, registered in 1930. We can really only guess at the era of the watch based on style. I would guess late 1940s or 1950s, but I don't think I could narrow it down much more than that.

Name:  Screen Shot 2018-04-15 at 3.07.31 PM.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  48.1 KB
    I didn't know it's a redial I wish it wasn't but I'm more interested in the history of the brand and how many watches did they make and what was their RRP back then and with which manufacturer they worked with to produce watches.
    I wish I could find the reason why there's little known about this brand.
    Thanks alot guys.

Not so sure it's a redial.
    The minute hand meets the minute track correctly, the lume is perfectly applied, the seconds counter has a sharp edge.
    It is not a dial of great quality but in my opinion is original.

Look at the spacing between the letters in "MOISTURPROOF". The markings in the sub-dial also appear to be off-center. Together, with the virtually unblemished condition of the dial, I assumed it was re-dialed. But yes, in principle, these could be signs of flawed original dial printing.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

no worries for dial, moisturing and fingerprinting all over the place is in process :D
    Chaos is my focus

Thread Information