Ladies Bulova watch
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Ladies Bulova watch

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ladies Bulova watch

Picked up this watch to give as a Christmas present. Inside says 1924. I was wondering if the movement can be identified. Comments welcome.
    Name:  s-l1600 (1).jpg
Views: 95
Size:  259.4 KBName:  s-l1600 (2).jpg
Views: 93
Size:  140.5 KBName:  s-l1600 (3).jpg
Views: 91
Size:  329.3 KBName:  s-l1600 (4).jpg
Views: 91
Size:  215.9 KB
    busmatt and bsshog40 like this.

Re: Ladies Bulova watch

Bulova 6AF, which is apparently an FHF 5, 6.5x75x11 ligne, as per the page below:

bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: Bulova 6AF (FHF 5, 6.75x11''')

It's identified as the 6AF in the box on the center bridge. Bulova Watch Co. on the movement agrees with the case stamp as post 1923. Are there any of these symbols hidden by the movement holder near the stem?

Bulova - Vintage Bulova Date Symbols & Codes | Watchophilia.com

Case signature matches a 1925 Treasurer.
    Bulova - Vintage Bulova Case Signatures | Watchophilia.com

The 6AF was made from 1925 to 1936.
    Bulova - Vintage Bulova Watch Movements | Watchophilia.com

Hope that helps you narrow it down!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I have a few of similar watches (size). Waltham, Gotham, Elgin, Bulova etc. There are frequent discussions when it comes to define these as ladies or gents watches. In their time, these were gents watches (by size, when small was special), today it would be difficult to wear them as a man. In your case, it is even more difficult because of the fancy case and the colors. I would even tend to say, it was ladies also at the time it was made.

Be careful when opening this watch. It has radium material on the dial. Although the hands and numbers might not glow anymore, the radium is still there with a half live period of 1600 years. The radiation is not the main problem, especially when the watch is closed. The Radium should not come into your body, which can easyly happen if you have some of it on your fingers or if you inhale some of the dust which came off over time. Nowadays, a lot of watchmakers won't like to work on such a watch. Companies with employed watchmakers will often simple refuse to accept these watches for service- and repair jobs.

Perhaps, your watch can even beat some of the radioactivity readings presented in this thread (link below) and put a few CPM on top.

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f11/vin...e-2530490.html

Think again about it as a Christmas present (if with good intentions). There is lots of info concerning radium on watches on the Net and here in the forum. Study that first and decide on this basis, although some exitement around this subject is often more a psychological one, but this can also be a negative thing is the recipient is aware or made aware of this problem.

And last not least: If the watch is to be worn every day and not just very occasionally as part of a collection, a service by a watchmaker is strongly recommended (unless you can do this yoursel). Dirt, dried in oil etc. gives a lot of friction and ruins the watch.

Otherwise, nice find!
    Last edited by Border-Reiver; November 19th, 2015 at 18:34.

Found it! 1928 Miss America. After that, they apparently switched away from the radium dial.
    Name:  Bulova 1928 Miss America Ad.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  14.5 KB

I hope you didn't pay the full retail $37.50 for it.

Thank you for all the information! This site never ceases to amaze me :) She has a lot of silver and turquoise jewelry, so I think this watch will fit in nicely. But I'll tell her about the radium. It could end up back on ebay, but it's the thought that counts, right... :)

Depending on how far down the rabbit hole you want to go, I believe it's possible to have the radium professionally removed and replaced with modern luminous material in a similar color. Some would call this blasphemy, as they literally don't make them like they used to when it comes to radium dials and hands. Also, a lively discussion on whether or not radium is a danger appears every once in a while on here.

Your (her) watch, your (her) choice.

Enjoy!
    rkamarowski likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by rkamarowski View Post
    Thank you for all the information! This site never ceases to amaze me :) She has a lot of silver and turquoise jewelry, so I think this watch will fit in nicely. But I'll tell her about the radium. It could end up back on ebay, but it's the thought that counts, right... :)
    The watch is wonderful, if she has silver and turquoise jewelry, it certainly would fit nicely. On a similar watch, which I gave to my wife, all this stuff (the less harmful tritium, which came after the radium) has been removed, which was a bit easier, as it was just on the hands (which have been replaced alltogether) and some small dots next to the numbers. You just have to find someone doing it. That problem solved, I found a resonable offer for a general service.

To close the lid from my side on this radium subject:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radium_Girls
    Last edited by Border-Reiver; November 19th, 2015 at 18:58.

Hi all,

this forum tought me that radium watches killed the generations of my parents and grand parents. But how about the generations before radium? There must be something more dangerous.

Regards, Roland Ranfft

Border-Reiver, was the radium removed by a local watchmaker?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information