Ladies cocktail watch genuine or not help

Thread: Ladies cocktail watch genuine or not help

Ladies cocktail watch genuine or not help

hi Ive just joined this forum and im looking for some advise. I have a ladies dimond cocktail wrist watch but it has no stamp marks to say what its made from or made by and I have not got a clue if the dimonds are real or not.

Ive done some research on the net and found that there is a possibility that itcould be patinum but how can I tell this with out any stamp marks. Can anyone help or advise me where I can go and find out wether this watch is genuine or just costume jewellery.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Ladies cocktail watch genuine or not help

Sometimes called an 'opera watch', looks circa 1920 and it was not uncommon to have no name. Have it appraised.

Thanks Watchbreath for this great info and thankyou for taking the to reply...... I will now do a net search on 'opera watch' circa 1920.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

The movement is a generic FHF (Fabrique d'Horlogerie Fontainemelon) Cal. 59:

bidfun-db Archiv: Uhrwerke: FHF 59

...the slimmest movement with all parts on the same level (the JLC Cal. 101 is slimmer and smaller but uses two levels).

Hartmut Richter

Thanks Hartmut Richter for this great info and thankyou for taking the to reply.... im now trying to get my head around this technical stuff lol

As far as the metal is concerned, this may well be a a custom made (or small jeweler series) 18K white gold or even Platinum.
    The turned engine circle decorations on the interior of the back are normally present on solid metals and not plated articles.
    As for the diamonds, although I can only comment from a somewhat blurry image, they are normally set in either prongs or at least the setting is such that the back is open, to allow the brilliant effect of the stone to show properly. Setting stones without holes normally suggests cheaper stones such as CZ, paste and such, or ones made of glass with mirror foil on them. You will notice that either way the setting was not done too professionally as the alignment is out of the row.

Thanks eldarinn for this great info and thankyou for taking the to reply....

Am I right in thinking your saying that the watch casing could be white gold or platinum and the diamonds may be glass?.

Thread Information