Ladies Diamond & Gold Dressy Watch

Thread: Ladies Diamond & Gold Dressy Watch

Ladies Diamond & Gold Dressy Watch

I'm almost afraid to ask this for fear of sounding stupid, but here goes.

I know most ladies vintage diamond watches are valued at the cost of the stones and the gold content, with a negligible amount added for an interesting movement.

My question is: Does a high profile maker (such as Rolex) add an appreciable amount to that value?

I'm not asking for a figure here, guys. I know you won't value watches and I totally understand why. But I'd like to know if a similarly tricked out Rolex in approximately the same condition might fetch more than a lesser known brand.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Jeannie
    Last edited by GinGinD; September 22nd, 2008 at 23:00.

Re: Ladies Diamond & Gold Dressy Watch

I'd say that even in the case of Rolex the value of the stones tells the tale. I had a look at Shugart and although my copy is about 4 years old:
    Rolex ladies watches from the 1930s are still quite affordable. Add in 50 diamonds and you can boost the cost from $500 to $2500 in a hurry.
    Similar story for Cartier.
    Probably if you had a lesser known watch brand, the value would go from $200 to $2000 but the concept is the same.
    Vintage ladies mechanical watches just don't have a lot of interest in the community, so prices are low even for a prestige brand.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Thanks so much, Ray. That's exactly what I needed. I should be able to get a good idea for myself from there.

Of course, in the end it's worth what I'm willing to pay for it!

Jeannie

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Well most ladies interested in Vintage would be just as happy to get a Gent's watch from the 1930s and 1940s. They can wear these watches and look quite fashionable, given that most guys are wearing pocket watches on their wrist these days.
    The teeny tiny ladies stuff seems to be sadly neglected, but that's great for you if you like it.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Quote Originally Posted by Ray MacDonald View Post
    Well most ladies interested in Vintage would be just as happy to get a Gent's watch from the 1930s and 1940s. They can wear these watches and look quite fashionable, given that most guys are wearing pocket watches on their wrist these days.
    The teeny tiny ladies stuff seems to be sadly neglected, but that's great for you if you like it.
    Yeah. I want a little dressy watch to wear with my little silk dresses and strappy high-heeled sandals. It's 22mm I believe, so not as tiny as some. It's also from the 60s (when I was born), which appeals to me.

Think he's asking too much though. I'll have to do some calculating and then go in this weekend to bargain.

Anyway, I want this for myself, have no plans to sell it so it's not so important to get a great deal. But I'd prefer not to get taken either.

Jeannie

Just like most products in out society today a name brand can carry clout and Rolex is one of those names...the design is important...a classic designed ladies Rolex,Cartier,Patek,and even Tiffany timepiece will be reconized,create demand and a higher dollar amount then other lesser known watches.Traditionally ladies buy for design and men for quality of movement...for many people brand name=quality level and this =price in the market place.

Hi -

Ladies' wrist watches, vintage ones, should be a buyer's market, as they are generally considered far too small for practical use today (a definite sign that society in general is reverting to barbarism, in my opinion. ).

I've got around 30 movements, Gruen, that I picked up to work on, as they are generally higher quality and a lot of fun to work on for practice.

Adding gold and diamonds increases the jewelry aspect of the watch, as opposed to the horological aspect, and there's a fine balance to be found. Certainly a watch that has serious gold content and diamonds shouldn't have a throw-away movement inside, but you'll find that all but the very highest-end ladies' watches from today have exactly that, usually a rather inexpensive quartz movement that is, literally, designed to be thrown away rather than repaired.

Hence a ladies' vintage makes sense: you should, as Ray mentioned, be able to find a Cartier or Le Coultre for a good price, but Rolex didn't make the traditional ladies' watches. Here I'd recommend, as I have elsewhere, looking at a Gruen or Hamilton. They had some of the finest movements ever made.

JohnF
    コスト下げ やる気も一緒に 下げられる

Yes as John has already stated, ladies Gruen or Hamilton are terrific vintage watches. Rolex has the name, but back in the day was not considered to be any better than those two.
    Ladies Bulova is also also a great choice and here the price will definitely be right. Omega as well although both Rolex and Omega probably have a price premium because of their modern cachet.
    Tell your watch seller that interest in his ladies models will be low and he's be better off to take your reasonable offer. You might be a regular customer as well.

Once again I wanted to say how much I appreciate everyone's help. Between your common sense and knowledge, and my own research of vintage watch sites and completed eBay auctions, I have a range in which I'm comfortable bargaining. If he won't meet my price, there are lots of other beautiful watches out there!

Half the fun is in the looking, right?

Anyway, I'll let you all know how it turns out.

Jeannie

Thread Information