Ladies Rado Green Horse

Thread: Ladies Rado Green Horse

Ladies Rado Green Horse

Dear Vintage Watchuseekers,
    I'm planning to give this newly restored and serviced Rado Green Horse ladies watch to my wife on her birthday. Do you know any info about it? As far as I know, it's from the 70s and has an automatic movement which is supposed to be reliable. Do you know what movement this has? I did not place any strap yet to allow her to choose her own preferred color. Thanks everyone. I'm planning to impress her with the info you can provide.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Ladies Rado Green Horse

The movement was made by ETA and is probably either a 2651 or 2671 caliber. You may be able to see some numbers under the balance which would tell you which. These are from the same family of movements.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Definitely an ETA but could also be a 2681. The 2651 is 7.75''' (17.2 mm) in diameter and beats at 21600 A/h, the 2671 - I have one in a nice ladies Dugena - is the same size and beats at 28800 A/h and the 2681 goes up to 8.75''' (19.4mm) and has the faster beat as well.

You live in Quezon city? I was in the Philippines for three years (1995-1997), located at SEAFDEC, Binangonan..... "Magandang gabi, bayan!"

Hartmut Richter

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I don't think it's an ETA 2681 for two reasons:

- This is a late 1960s or early 1970s ladies Rado watch and the ETA 2681 didn't begin production until around 1990.

- The edge of the balance on the poster's movement extends almost to the edge of the movement. However, on the ETA 2681, which is a larger diameter movement, the edge of the balance is about 1.8 mm from the edge of the movement.

However, a simple check of the movement will tell the tale.

I have read alot of the Rados used Schild movements. Not a movement expert myself though.

Yes, some Rados used A. Schild (AS) movements but this particular movement is clearly made by ETA.

Quote Originally Posted by JimH View Post
    Yes, some Rados used A. Schild (AS) movements but this particular movement is clearly made by ETA.
    ETA, as in Eterna? Wow, I'm glad of this find, and my wife will be pleased. This piece came from the early 70s; I forgot to mention. Thanks JimH.

Quote Originally Posted by Hartmut Richter View Post
    Definitely an ETA but could also be a 2681. The 2651 is 7.75''' (17.2 mm) in diameter and beats at 21600 A/h, the 2671 - I have one in a nice ladies Dugena - is the same size and beats at 28800 A/h and the 2681 goes up to 8.75''' (19.4mm) and has the faster beat as well.

You live in Quezon city? I was in the Philippines for three years (1995-1997), located at SEAFDEC, Binangonan..... "Magandang gabi, bayan!"

Hartmut Richter
    Hi Hartmut, OMG, you know that newscaster is the Vice President of the Philippines now. He has that staightforward, baritone voice that made that quote popular in the news. It's "Good evening nation!" translated folks. He might become the president in 2010 if he officially runs. 1995 to 1997 in fisheries development in Binangonan? Wow.
    Last edited by alexiscabel; March 23rd, 2008 at 07:01.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

ETA was originally the movement producing section of Eterna but split off at some stage to become independent. I believe that "Eterna" marked movements were specific to Eterna watches but the ETA marked movements were always widely available as ebauches. Still, there are great similarities between the two. There was an article about the ETA 2892 in a recent edition of "Chronos" (published as "Watch Time" in the English speaking world, I believe) where it was shown that the ETA 2892 is derived from the Eterna 1504, just as the Eterna 1541 is the forerunenr of the ETA 2824. Compare also:

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-...k&Eterna_1504K

and:

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-...wk&Eterna_1541

Maligayang pasko sa inyo!

Hartmut Richter

Thread Information