Ladies & rentelman Please, What is a good mid to low level three dates watch?

Thread: Ladies & rentelman Please, What is a good mid to low level three dates watch?

Ladies & rentelman Please, What is a good mid to low level three dates watch?

I found this example on EbayName:  GothamDateOMatic01.JPG
Views: 130
Size:  145.2 KB

I am looking not only for suggestions on what to avoid. My budget is 45 dollars not including repairs. Does making it a triple date automatically add value to any watch?

Re: Ladies & rentelman Please, What is a good mid to low level three dates watch?

I would say yes. Mainly because you don't see them as often.

Re: Ladies & rentelman Please, What is a good mid to low level three dates watch?

Quote Originally Posted by watch origins View Post
    I am looking not only for suggestions on what to avoid.
    I am a great fan of date pointer watches. I have 10+ or so.

Avoid that one. This is mine and more like what it should look like:

There are some problems with the watch you posted that will only cause you pain.

1. Hands. Stick hands are probably OK, as that one is a bit earlier. But likely they will need to be replaced/replated.
    2. What the hell is that green sh*t on the dial?
    3. Looks like the sub second pinion is missing.

My budget is 45 dollars not including repairs.
    You can get a redial for maybe $50 - they might be able to salvage the hands at the same time, the movement (if the same as mine) is a common A.S., so you might be able to source a second wheel. But all up, you are looking at a lot of money to redeem it.

For your budget you might also consider a Benrus double (not triple) calendar. Its a hard ask at $45 though. As I have said before, if you double your budget, you will have a better watch, that needs less money spent on it, and will look better in the end. For $90 you can find something much nicer. $45 is false economy.

Does making it a triple date automatically add value to any watch?
    Yes. But... it will also cost you a lot more to service. Some watchmakers will simply refuse to work on them, or charge you chronograph rates. Unfairly really as they're not that complicated and I fix mine myself.
    Last edited by trim; January 25th, 2011 at 01:09.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I think $45 is stretching it unless you want a complete wreck. I got this Z working well but in need of service for just under $200 and that was considered very good price. True-some of the more generic brands go for a bit less but I havnt seen anything go for less than $100 in a good long while. :
    :ROLEX OMEGA LONGiNES ♦ SEIKO Aquadive ♦ ELGIN ♦ hamilton O&W imexZodiac......

The watch I posted went for $52. Here is the movement.Name:  GothamDateOMatic10.JPG
Views: 110
Size:  151.4 KB

The watch I posted went for $52. Here is the movement.Name:  GothamDateOMatic10.JPG
Views: 110
Size:  151.4 KB
    The mvmnt looks intact but the dial looks like it was lumed by a 5yr old. and its missing a sec hand (no big deal). Plating is gone too. Its true that a service could bring this up to speed for another $100-$150. Then you have to decide how much to spend on a redial if you want that done.
    :ROLEX OMEGA LONGiNES ♦ SEIKO Aquadive ♦ ELGIN ♦ hamilton O&W imexZodiac......

As far as redials go as long as it is clear enough to read that's good. The repairs are $35 to $50 but is that watch worth $100?

I don't agree. The repairs are not 35-50. You'd be looking at $100-150 (without a redial) to get it in reasonable shape assuming you can source a pinion. So, 52 + 150 = 200, which is what DB paid for his. And no, the watch isn't worth that as the plating is bad.

I have repaired a number of uneconomic watches. I have also repaired rough ones as I couldn't justify buying a good one. I would not bother with the one you posted, it is too far gone and needs too much time and money to put right.

There is nothing wrong with a challenge, and nothing wrong with fixing something terrible, but paying someone else to do it is a quick and certain way to get poor.

Reminds me of the joke about airlines: How do you make a small fortune running an airline? Start with a big fortune.
    Last edited by trim; January 25th, 2011 at 04:59.

I saw this all the time in cars... people would buy a wreck because they could afford it and then end up sinking a small fortune into it. It is an expensive way to get good cars. Watches too!
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Thread Information