Ladies Rolex Help Needed Please

Thread: Ladies Rolex Help Needed Please

Ladies Rolex Help Needed Please

I had posted this Friday on the Ladies forum, but did not get much response. I would really like to learn more about the Rolex that was my mother's. She bought it from a dealer in Atlanta in the early 80's. The watch was part of an estate sale the jeweler had purchased. The rear of the case is stamped 14K GOLD, the face looks to be oyster. The diamond bezel has 22 round cut stones. The bracelet is also stamped 14K. I would really like to be able to date and value the watch. Also, if anyone knows the best route to take to have the watch cleaned and serviced I would love to have it done. Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Ladies Rolex Help Needed Please

Here is a YouTube video of your watch (with black dial). The guy from 'LoveJoy Antiques' is talking about the 1950ies concerning the age. Valuations are not made here in the forum, but there is a telephone number (from a little south of you down in Florida) to call in the video, where you might get all the info you want, including where to service and cost.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3LlRBLGfgY

I was at first a bit worried about the back of the watch, but that seems to be correct, as also shown in the video. If you decide to wear this watch keep in mind, that it is most likely not watertight according to the make of the case (the Rolex experts might correct me there) and most likely not shock proof. But I guess, that is not a watch for garden work or doing the dishes anyway.
    Last edited by Border-Reiver; August 24th, 2015 at 19:37.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

I would agree that it is not likely to be especially waterproof. In contrast to what you think, I would say that the watch looks more like something from the "Cellini" series, i.e. less robust and more elegant watches for evening wear or the office. If it really was an Oyster, it should have a screw down crown.

Hartmut Richter

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thank you SO much for the information and the video. The value was of little consequence to me, as it belonged to my mother, who passed away in 1993. It is therefore priceless to me. I enjoy wearing the watch very much. It is wonderful to have more information about it. I will try to contact the gentleman from the video. Thank you again.

Thank you for the additional information. I was told by a friend that they thought that it was a Cellini. I had never seen one even close to it in style. It is a very elegant watch, but I love to wear it and it works beautifully.

Quote Originally Posted by Janna Crowe Tucker View Post
    Thank you SO much for the information and the video. The value was of little consequence to me, as it belonged to my mother, who passed away in 1993. It is therefore priceless to me. I enjoy wearing the watch very much. It is wonderful to have more information about it. I will try to contact the gentleman from the video. Thank you again.
    And this of course is the most important thing.

the best advice I would give about value is to have it serviced and enjoy the hell out of it because it was your mothers. Unfortunately women cocktail watches don't carry the same cache as do mens vintage-in terms of value, collectability and popularity. But-of course since its a rolex it carries a lot of cache just on the merit of the brand. And besides that-I think that gold band is extraordinarily attractive and the diamond ring is simple and elegant. I'm not usually a fan of women cocktails but every once in a while I'll come across one that is so beautiful that I usually think, "isn't it shame that more people don't collect these". And I'm sure there are many ladies out there who do appreciate the style of 30s to 60s women watches. At some point--the market for these pieces may start to climb. But as for an insurance value I would imagine it would be somewhere north of $3k and under $4k . But I wouldn't be surprised if you found somebody who was selling asking for a good bit more.

As for service-if the watch is running fine-I would simply find a watchmaker who cleans and service older women watches. If on the other hand its not working-it might be better to take to authorized rolex but it would definitely be way higher then the independent watchmaker. good luck
    :ROLEX OMEGA LONGiNES ♦ SEIKO Aquadive ♦ ELGIN ♦ hamilton O&W imexZodiac......

Thread Information