Lanco Flying Saucer

Thread: Lanco Flying Saucer

Lanco Flying Saucer

Hello, this is my first post on the Vintage Watches Forum

I read John F's interesting piece about Lanco on the 'Lanco Chrono' thread & wondered if John, or anyone else, could throw any light on my 'Flying Saucer'.
    I bought it on ebay about a year ago because I think it's a handsome watch and was very taken with the 'Flying Saucer' name.
    There is some small ageing to the dial and corrosion to the plating on the back of the case but it works & keeps good time.

Thanks for looking

Re: Lanco Flying Saucer

Hello Dapper,very nice Lanco,a bit more original than mine i suspect

Regards,
    Russ.

Hi -

I looooooove the funky '50s.

Seriously, not sure if this is late 1950s or early 1960s. The "Flying Saucer" almost definitely comes from the dial finish, looking sortakinda like a flying saucer from above.

Interestingly, it has two incabloc shock absorbers, one for the balance wheel and one for the escapement. This points me more towards the end of the 1950s, when there was a certain tendency to overdo things like that (I've got a Cyma that has no less than three "cymaflex" absorbers on the movement side and three on the face side as well: on the wheel, on the escapement and on the second wheel.

This was overkill and were dropped in the 1960s. I think the makers viewed it as a way of showing how much they cared about the shocks people gave their watches, even though it was overkill...

It *is* handsome and would look very nice in my collection as well ...

And I'm a sucker for these names: I have one watch, a French Mortima, that is labelled "SuperDatoMatic", which is, to be honest, the only reason I bought it. It's a lousy timekeeper and I hate resetting the date when I wear it, as there is no quickset whatsoever and I have to cycle the damn thing through days and days. But the name was so neat...

JohnF
    コスト下げ やる気も一緒に 下げられる

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Russ Cook View Post
    Hello Dapper,very nice Lanco,a bit more original than mine i suspect

Regards,
    Russ.
    Thanks Russ - it seems they both have a little mystery around them

Quote Originally Posted by JohnF View Post
    Hi -

I looooooove the funky '50s.

Seriously, not sure if this is late 1950s or early 1960s. The "Flying Saucer" almost definitely comes from the dial finish, looking sortakinda like a flying saucer from above.

Interestingly, it has two incabloc shock absorbers, one for the balance wheel and one for the escapement. This points me more towards the end of the 1950s, when there was a certain tendency to overdo things like that (I've got a Cyma that has no less than three "cymaflex" absorbers on the movement side and three on the face side as well: on the wheel, on the escapement and on the second wheel.

This was overkill and were dropped in the 1960s. I think the makers viewed it as a way of showing how much they cared about the shocks people gave their watches, even though it was overkill...

It *is* handsome and would look very nice in my collection as well ...

And I'm a sucker for these names: I have one watch, a French Mortima, that is labelled "SuperDatoMatic", which is, to be honest, the only reason I bought it. It's a lousy timekeeper and I hate resetting the date when I wear it, as there is no quickset whatsoever and I have to cycle the damn thing through days and days. But the name was so neat...

JohnF
    Thanks very much for your response John It's all really interesting. The 50s & early 60s were a great time for distinctive and stylish design and cool product names - especially in USA, in fact, when I first saw the Lanco I thought it was American - it has that look about it don't you think?
    I'm not familiar with movement parts, could you describe which are the 'incabloc shock absorbers' please?
    I wouldn't mind seeing a pic of the "SuperDatoMatic" - sounds like a 50s Pontiac

I seem to be building a small sub-collection fleet......

Hi -

The Incabloc is the little pieces of metal you see on top of the jewels over the balance wheel and the escapement. They allow the jewel to move when there is a shock, instead of having to absorb the shock and probably breaking.

Will have to dig out a picture of the SuperDatoMatic.

And I actually have three (3!) Pontiac watches: the first one, a Pontiac Hydraulica, I bought simply for the name and is in excellent shape; I'm wearing the second one right now (Pontiac Nageur Memodate) with date, and a miserable Pontiac Sympatico which has a mainspring so tired that it can't manage a date change without hanging...

And yes, the '50s/'60s were an unusual time, very creative and interesting. That's why I collect them! .-)

JohnF
    コスト下げ やる気も一緒に 下げられる

Quote Originally Posted by JohnF View Post
    Hi -

The Incabloc is the little pieces of metal you see on top of the jewels over the balance wheel and the escapement. They allow the jewel to move when there is a shock, instead of having to absorb the shock and probably breaking.

Will have to dig out a picture of the SuperDatoMatic.

And I actually have three (3!) Pontiac watches: the first one, a Pontiac Hydraulica, I bought simply for the name and is in excellent shape; I'm wearing the second one right now (Pontiac Nageur Memodate) with date, and a miserable Pontiac Sympatico which has a mainspring so tired that it can't manage a date change without hanging...

And yes, the '50s/'60s were an unusual time, very creative and interesting. That's why I collect them! .-)

JohnF
    Thanks, again, very helpful

Looking forward to seeing some of your pics

I was quite pleased to acquire this Lanco recently There's a strong design resemblance to the 'Flying Saucer' but, at 39mm diam, it's about 6mm bigger. I wonder if the 'Saucer' is a boy's watch & this is the 'grown-ups' version?

Cheers

Thread Information