Landed myself another Roskopf
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By zebedee71

Thread: Landed myself another Roskopf

Landed myself another Roskopf

I saw this beauty on Ebay, listed as not running. I initially wanted it for the minute hand for my other Roskopf and the crystal.

I won the watch, and including delivery I am £20 lighter. When it arrived the crystal was broken, I guess a knock in the post as the box corner was damaged. I am not going to argue over a Crystal. Anyway the hand did NOT fit my other Roskopf, which in a way I am happy about, as the watch is a nice one and a shame to break it.

I set too stripping the watch down and discovered a lot of crap on the pivots, and after letting the main spring down found it still had a little tension.

I cleaned the pivots and the holes in the plates, light application of lube to see how it ran, and hey presto! It ran. Now it has a very nice loud strong tick when you apply pressure to the crown when winding. But when the tension is released the tick is weaker. I am sure the problem is the barrel arbour needing a clean and greased. That is something I will do in the coming weeks.

On the whole I think once it is finished it will make a fantastic daily wearer.

Pics below
    Attached Images Attached Images

James A and SilkeN like this.

Re: Landed myself another Roskopf

Very nice.
    I like the text in the dial " SPECIALLY EXAMINED". :)

Regards,

Very nice a Roskopf in a english assoziated design. I don't collect these watches but I'm always surpriced about the diversity and sometimes complications on this quite "metal plates" movemets. Fascinating and a good idea to save and keep this watch.

For the german market you usually find this simple made rough hands with spike within Roskopf watches

Name:  SAM_4657.JPG
Views: 56
Size:  70.0 KB

I only have these three found in a convolute of hands. If you need such one of those please pin with cm. Maybe you can adapt it. They are to big for my watches thus I don't need them.

KInd regards Silke
    Last edited by SilkeN; June 6th, 2015 at 02:42.
    That's what I think about today:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlUGeY7MWVo

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

That is a very kind offer!

I notice a lot of Roskopf watches on the bay seem to have the louis style hands. All 5 of mine have the same type as the pics. Spade type for want of better word! I just keep my eyes peeled for broken Roskopf's as I need spares for the others. Escape wheel, one requires 3rd wheel, one a balance staff hairspring and canon pinion and another needs a pallet. If I find a watch or movement on ebay chesp enough I tend to buy it. This one I wen over the limit for as the size of the watch, to me mean it was highly likely to have the correct size hand. I need to keep looking.

Quote Originally Posted by SilkeN View Post
    Very nice a Roskopf in a english assoziated design. I don't collect these watches but I'm always surpriced about the diversity and sometimes complications on this quite "metal plates" movemets. Fascinating and a good idea to save and keep this watch.

For the german market you usually find this simple made rough hands with spike within Roskopf watches

Name:  SAM_4657.JPG
Views: 56
Size:  70.0 KB

I only have these three found in a convolute of hands. If you need such one of those please pin with cm. Maybe you can adapt it. They are to big for my watches thus I don't need them.

KInd regards Silke
    Last edited by zebedee71; June 6th, 2015 at 12:50.

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

The ornate style of hands was very much more popular at the time on the continent than in the UK where plainer hands were preferred. Fewer Roskopfs sold into the English speaking market it seems as we had the Ingersoll type makers for the cheaper watches so I guess that would make what you are seeking harder to find.

Thread Information