LANDERON 51 CHRONOGRAPH MVNT. W.W. IN ODD 18K CASE
Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By artb
  • 1 Post By Tomcat1960
  • 1 Post By artb

Thread: LANDERON 51 CHRONOGRAPH MVNT. W.W. IN ODD 18K CASE

LANDERON 51 CHRONOGRAPH MVNT. W.W. IN ODD 18K CASE

Maybe 1940 nice looking and working ORNATA marked large 18k case. No Incabloc shock balance cap. Not much 18k gold in it since has double cap back and 18k shell over hard rigid metal case. Saves gold quantity but expensive to fabricate and provides better case strength. Same as similar age MIDO Multifort 18k w.w. I have. A very fine copper? dial with very precise scale marking, perfect registration gold hands. Was ORNATA not a watch producer? artb
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by artb; October 17th, 2014 at 14:49.
    Paleotime and saxoo like this.

Re: LANDERON 51 CHRONOGRAPH MVNT. W.W. IN ODD 18K CASE

Beautiful chronograph, in excellent shape. Hope you got a great deal

Regarding your date assessment I think it's early-to-mid-Fifties rather than early 1940s. This is my dad's watch, and I know for sure he bought it only in the 1950s:

Look at the style of hands - it took the return of lighting to streets and houses after the war with its frequent blackouts to make watches with those thin, lumeless hands.

Moreover, according to www.mikrolisk.de, 'Ornata' was a brand of Rodania SA from Grenchen/Granges, Switzerland, where it was registered only in 1949.

I hope you don't mind too much that it is (most likely) about ten years younger than you thought.

Best,
    Tomcat
    HOROLOGIST007 likes this.
    After all's been said and done, there's a lot more said than done...

Patina: little pieces of history put on old watches and forgotten there by the maker of time

"Miracles?", he asked. "Forget about miracles. Those who walk on water just know where the stepstones are."

"Luxury watches - you acquire the right to take care of them, but they remain the property of their manufacturers."
    (Roland Ranfft)

Now available for your Kindle or Kindle Reader:

Tracks in a Blizzard - A (German) Christmas Ghost Story

Check me out on Facebook! / Visit us on Facebook! / Visit us in our living room!

GOOD INFO APPRECIATED. My wrong date year based only on lack of shock resistant balance caps. Most good w.w. had those after 1942? Yours have those? Maybe used old Landeron movement? artbissell

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Shockproofing was still not the norm by the end of the 1940s, at least not in entry-level watches (as which I would count both your Ornata and my dad's Chronographe Suisse). There was a practical consideration as well: watches of the highest precision (like, e.g., B-Uhren and pilots' watches were built without a shock-proofing device which was deemed by many expert watchmakers as detrimental to high precision. The reasoning was easy: shock-proofing devices work with a little degree of slack in the balance bearings, allowing the balance shaft to move slightly off-center when held off-vertical. This may impair the movement of the balance and hence impair the watch's precision.

If your life depends on the precision of the watch you're wearing, you'll give a lot of consideration to the question on whether it's better to sacrifice precision for balance protection.

Last, not least, shock-proofing is actually overrated a real lot, expecially in vintage pieces, which are usually worn carefully and not dinged around everywhere

All said, I've seen quite a lot of Landeron-equipped chronographs from well into the 1950s without a shockproofing device of any sort. Usually, you'd recognize a shockproofed one well into the 1960's because it's stated on the dial: "Incabloc" or "Shock-resistant" are examples of appropriate messages on the dial.

Best,
    Tomcat
    After all's been said and done, there's a lot more said than done...

Patina: little pieces of history put on old watches and forgotten there by the maker of time

"Miracles?", he asked. "Forget about miracles. Those who walk on water just know where the stepstones are."

"Luxury watches - you acquire the right to take care of them, but they remain the property of their manufacturers."
    (Roland Ranfft)

Now available for your Kindle or Kindle Reader:

Tracks in a Blizzard - A (German) Christmas Ghost Story

Check me out on Facebook! / Visit us on Facebook! / Visit us in our living room!

THANKS for very fine explanation about this good 1950+ w.w. Presently my favorite including older better grade Lemainias that use the Incabloc. artb
    Attached Images Attached Images

James A likes this.

Thread Information